CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Support > System Administration

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 11:19 AM

Can't load or save pkg files

I'm running Creo 17 on an HP Elitebook 8530w laptop running Windows 7 64 bit with 8 GB RAM. I have the METMPDIR system environment variable set to C:\SDTEMP. After changing my user account from administrator to standard user then back to administrator, I can't load or save pkg or sdexp files. I can save and load env files.

I get the following error message when trying to load a pkg file:

Creo Elements/Direct Modeling could not unpack the file "block.pkg". Either this file does not contain a saved package file, you do not have sufficient virtual memory, or no space is left in the directory "C:\SDTEMP/2ps08pa31u5qsah4832.autotmp". (Error -1)

I get the following error message when trying to load a .sdexp file:

This file doesn't exist (Error 151)

Only Cocreate uses the METMPDIR folder. Checking Windows Explorer file manager, there is no folder named '2ps08pa31u5qsah4832.autotmp' under c:\sdtemp. There are folders named 'step_database_4832' and 'MASTER' under c:\sdtemp, and Creo must have put them there.

- Entering (display (oli:sd-inq-temp-dir)) returns 'C:\SDTEMP/'.

- Entering (display (oli:sd-inq-file-status (oli:sd-inq-temp-dir) :write-access)) returns NIL.

- Entering (display (oli:sd-inq-file-status (oli:sd-inq-temp-dir) :read-access)) returns NIL.

- Entering (display (oli:sd-inq-error-obj :all)) directly after entering the above command returns '(SYSTEM ENOENT No such file or directory C:\SDTEMP/)'.

I believe that Creo uses the temp folder to pack & unpack pkg files. So, it looks to me like Creo is unable to access the temp folder to pack & unpack, but it can write to it for other things, as evidenced by the two folders that Creo put there.

- I've set permissions for C:\SDTEMP at full access for administrators and users groups, no difference.

- I created a new user account as administrator and installed Cocreate 2008 as a totally separate installation. (This was the only install DVD I had available.) Behavior is exactly as described above for Creo 17.

I'm stumped. Can anyone help?
Old 03-28-2012, 12:12 PM

Re: Can't load or save pkg files

For me, entering (display (oli:sd-inq-temp-dir)) returns 'C:/Users/gregm/AppData/Local/Temp/'

maybe you could try changing METMPDIR from C:\SDTEMP to C:/SDTEMP
Old 03-28-2012, 12:13 PM

or just remove metmpdir
Old 03-28-2012, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the response. I originally didn't have the METMPDIR set, so Cocreate was using c:\users\robert\Appdata\Local\Temp & I got the same results. I put the METMPDIR variable in Windows so I could isolate the temp dir that Cocreate was using.

I changed METMPDIR to c:/sdtemp/. It made no difference. I think the forward slash in Cocreate is a holdover from the old SolidDesigner Unix days.

I started using SolidDesigner on Unix in 1995. I've consulted with the Cocreate gurus in my company & they haven't seen this before. I suspect it has something to do with Win 7.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:29 PM

did it work on this machine at one point and now is broke?

Other people can open the package files on their machines (it's not coincidentally a defective package file)?

Seems a little silly, but what if you right click on your Modeling icon and select run as administrator?

I'm using Modeling 17 on Win7, but I think the only time I've had trouble opening a package has been when it was corrupt, or i was out of space on my hard drive.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:45 PM

Yes, it worked fine before I started messing with the user account settings. Other people can open the files just fine. I actually set Creo to run as administrator from SolidDesigner.exe's right-click Properties menu.

OK, it's fixed; I ran System Restore, selecting a restore point prior to the time I messed with the user settings. I figured that if two separate installs of Cocreate in two separate user accounts are doing the same thing, maybe it's a system-wide Windows setting. As is often the case with 'puters, I'll never really know what went wrong. I'm just happy I can work again!

gmatelich, thanks much for your attempts to help out. I never did get a call back from my company's Cocreate support representative.