CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > Enhancement Requests
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2006, 01:20 PM

Predictive workplanes

Hello,

Here is my daily rant. It seems to be a good stress relief to post my feelings on this forum. I am not sure if anyone reads them but it is very therapeutical.

At any rate, here are my thoughts, as limited as they may be.

When I am drawing a profile on a workplane once it is a closed profile an arrow similar to the one used in the mill function should show up at a corner of the profile. Now this doesn't mean that you can't add more 2d, it's just feedback that a closed profile has been created. When you add more 2d obviously the profile would be open again and the arrow would disappear, until and new closed profile was created. This is nice because it will let you know the profile is closed before pressing a function button.

On to the arrow, this is no ordinary arrow it is two different colors the tip would be green and the back would be red. By clicking on the green you could pull it out just like the milling operation creating a transparent box. Just like milling function you could enter a number or select faces, point, etc.. to define the box. If you select the red part of the arrow you can change the direction to a user defined, global, or local direction.

Now the meat, once the box is created you can right mouse click and bam! select milling, my new stamp idea, my new section idea, old stamp punch, old section punch, punch, and anything else you want to do with a transparent box.

See more info on my new stamp idea and my new section idea in previous post.

Tomorrow is thanksgiving so I will have to let you down.

Thanks,
Old 11-22-2006, 04:39 PM

Re: Predictive workplanes

Hey, I'm glad the forum offers therapeutic value for you!

I really like your 'Predictive workplanes' approach. Darn good thought!

When you say "By clicking on the green you could pull it out" by "it" I *assume* you mean the profile, stretching a semi-transparent surface of that shape. Is this right? And when you say "transparent box" I *assume* you meant this "transparent surface", that might be a box if the profile is rectangular, but could certainly be some other shape (e.g. a cylinder for a circle). Am I understanding correctly?

I'm also not understanding your comments on:
Quote:
Now the meat, once the box is created you can right mouse click and bam! select milling, my new stamp idea, my new section idea, old stamp punch, old section punch, punch, and anything else you want to do with a transparent box.
What would the 'my new stamp idea' or 'my new section idea' be? I think I might have to look for your other post.

Also, would be good if you added a link to your other post, using the
Code:
[thread=6003'] tag.
The red/green arrow *sounds* like a 3D type of arrow, not a 2D one - is this how you envision it? I tell you, a picture with some faked in graphics might be worth a lot for this one!

Happy Thanksgiving!