CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > Enhancement Requests

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.13 average. Display Modes
Old 11-14-2006, 07:17 AM

Dynamic move face - with intelligence

Today, it is very useful to highlight a face, right-click and choose "move", and then be able to dynamically drag that face until it "snaps" to whatever geometric feature you choose to snap it to. This is a powerful way to align faces.

It would be very awesome if there was a "remember" check box that you could check so that the system would remember that those two faces are intended to stay aligned in the future, so that if one of the faces moves, the other one moves also.

This would allow the engineer to easily, dynamically, graphically, and intuitively imbed design intent into the model.

Steve
Old 11-17-2006, 10:10 AM

Re: Dynamic move face - with intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
It would be very awesome if there was a "remember" check box that you could check so that the system would remember that those two faces are intended to stay aligned in the future, so that if one of the faces moves, the other one moves also.
Wow, that would indeed be awesome! A way to include a little bit of history/parameterization and thus, design intent, in a dynamic way. I would highly encourage CoCreate to consider this feedback.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:01 PM

Taking this concept further could bring OSDM closer to what some people have imagined as the ideal combination of the feature/constraint/parametric [dare I say history] based modeler and the dynamic modeler, by making it effortless for the user to capture and create the kinds of things it now takes a lot of extra work to do in the Parametrics modules [a.k.a. Relations].

If this was nicely thought out and implemented, it could be awesome!
Old 11-17-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coroto View Post
Taking this concept further could bring OSDM closer to what some people have imagined as the ideal combination of the feature/constraint/parametric [dare I say history] based modeler and the dynamic modeler, by making it effortless for the user to capture and create the kinds of things it now takes a lot of extra work to do in the Parametrics modules [a.k.a. Relations].

If this was nicely thought out and implemented, it could be awesome!
Yes, exactly what I was thinking... Of course, you and I have discussed this at length, so that might be why we're pretty much exactly on the same page as this! And since we're really experts at solids modeling and provide extremely valuable inputs to CoCreate, it should certainly behoove CoCreate to listen and act on this - and do so in a very timely manner. Market share in the MCAD market is all that's at stake...
Old 11-20-2006, 03:37 AM

If you wan't vote for it, guess what CoCreate people will believe....

Current result of voting for all enhancements ever entered:

http://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/f...c&daysprune=-1

--

Spam goes nospam@ptc.com and spam@postini.com

Last edited by Michael Kahle; 11-27-2006 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kahle View Post
If you wan't vote for it, guess what CoCreate people will believe....
Vote? I vote for it? Where else should I vote?
Old 11-20-2006, 12:32 PM

I guess Michael was referring to this thread's "Rate Thread" option (see screenshot). Enhancement requests which get a lot of votes are more likely to make it into the short list for upcoming releases.

I also forwarded a pointer to this thread internally to spur some discussion.

And of course, there's always the official way by reporting an enhancement request to our support folks.

Claus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ratethread.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	698  
Old 11-20-2006, 12:42 PM

Thanks very much for the clarification, Claus! It really helps.

I'm an administrator for our internal version of this forum, and I've never really used the 'Rate Thread' option, so that just didn't come to mind. I'll definitely rate this thread, as well as putting in an official enhancement request.

Part of the reason I posted the response I did was I was *hoping* that you'd consider it worthy of forwarding a pointer internally... ;^) Thanks!

Take Care,
-ron

Last edited by Ron Keeley; 11-20-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:03 PM

An "internal version" of this forum? Interesting. How does this work?

Claus
Old 11-20-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausb View Post
An "internal version" of this forum? Interesting. How does this work?
Sorry, I might have confused things. We have a 'Mechanical Engineering Forum' internally, with a number of the topic areas devoted to OneSpace Designer Modeling and Drafting. We utilize vBulletin for these. In fact, John Scheffel was the original administrator and implementor of our internal forum, which is what made him consider utilization of vBulletin for this CoCreate User Forum.

So, our "internal version" isn't just a 'CoCreate User' forum, but it's actually an 'Engineering Forum', for use by all engineers within the company, with specific forums for the different disciplines (Software, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, etc.

Hope that helps! -ron
Old 11-21-2006, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Yes, that is exactly my thought as well. We need the ability to intuitively and graphically imbed design logic into the model and assemblies.

Steve
Old 11-22-2006, 09:36 AM

Just like Claus suggested... through eSupport Marketplace you can submit this "product suggestion" and would advice others to post their suggestions there as well... this way CoCreate can prioritize this product suggestion for next release (minor or major).

The more users let us know about these ideas, the better. Doing it both here and there will help everyone involved and interested.

http://www.cocreate.com/esupport_mkt.cfm