CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Modeling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2020, 05:42 PM

Migration of CoCreateUsers.org forums to PTC Community

Some or all of you might have received the following mail yesterday:
Quote:
Hi All,

PTC recently approached us with a request to migrate all of our forum posts for CoCreate and Creo Elements/Direct to the PTC Community.

They're going to restructure the Creo Elements/Direct community and would like to have a single repository for all things related to Creo Elements/Direct and CoCreate.

Please note that you do NOT need to be a current support customer to create a Basic account on community.ptc.com, so you'll be able to browse, create, and comment on posts even if you're not a current PTC customer.

Please send any questions or concerns to admin@cocreateusers.org by Oct 9, 2020.

Thank you,

The CoCreateUsers.org Admin Team
* why ? at all?

* why is there a short time dead line for any response, when this forum exists for years?

* who initiated that change?

* it need to be discussed by the community IMHO

* I don't think such a kind of transfer is compliant to the forums' rules

I am not amused.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:40 AM

Re: Migration of CoCreateUsers.org forums to PTC Community

Ditto to what Wolfgang has stated.

Creo Elements/Direct 20.1
Dell Precision 3581
https://www.o-i.com
Old 10-13-2020, 08:55 AM

As some/all of you know meanwhile arrived a 2nd mail (7th Oct2020) which clarified some things.
Quote:
"Migration" was the term the PTC Community rep had used
Main change is: there is the idea of "copy" instead of "migration" -

Never the less.
  • will the copy of a post be marked with its original timestamp?
  • will the orginal source ( = cocreateusers.org ) be clearly mentioned on the PTC forums?
  • what about the user names?
    • will those be kept?
    • does each and every member of cocreateusers.org do agree on that?
  • we do have several Applications - Sub-Forums on here.. how are those mirrored?
  • how are new postings handled after the initial copy is done?

What happened on the dead line 9th October?
Old 10-14-2020, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Hi Wolfgang,

Good questions. I wasn't part of the initial discussion with PTC, but am now involved, and have passed your questions along to them. I hope to have some answers soon!

Perhaps I can answer a couple of things (or at least start a discussion).

I'm not sure about the usernames, so I'm waiting for a response from them. I think preserving the usernames (at least in some fashion) would be very helpful. Because these message boards (including usernames) are viewable by the public without being a member, I don't believe there are any privacy concerns with showing those usernames in the PTC Community as well. Do you have other concerns about this? If anyone wants their username made anonymous (such as user1234), we could do that if they requested it.

As far as new posts, I don't believe PTC has any plans to keep this forum in sync with PTC Community once the initial copy is made. Any posts made here would be only here unless effort is made to post there, and vice versa.

I told PTC we needed more time to discuss with the folks here, so that's what we're doing. I know they would like to get resolution on this as soon as possible, but we want to do it right and give people a chance to discuss concerns (and this thread seems like the perfect place to do it).

I hope this helps to clarify things. Please let me know what else I can do to help.

Thanks!

andy
See them in action at www.ai-maxtools.com and then try them for yourself -- FREE!
Old 10-29-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Poulsen View Post
Good questions. I wasn't part of the initial discussion with PTC, but am now involved, and have passed your questions along to them. I hope to have some answers soon!
Hi Andy,

thanks for picking up my question. Its little strange it is just me having questions at all.

Nevertheless "answers soon" .. TWO weeks are gone now . Any news..

And I would like to under line: 2 weeks of not any information, any news .. and the initial request (from PTC) asked for a reply within 8 days only. Makes me wonder.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
And I would like to under line: 2 weeks of not any information, any news .. and the initial request (from PTC) asked for a reply within 8 days only. Makes me wonder.
Hi Wolfgang,

After talking with PTC, it appears they're going to delay this project until January to make sure they've got all the pieces in place to get the data copied successfully.

They initially wanted to get it done really quickly, but after our discussions, they decided to wait. I think one of the reasons they wanted to do it quickly was that their team had some availability to work on it at that time.

We'll see how things go in January...

If I hear of any changes in the meantime, I will pass them along.

Thanks!

andy
See them in action at www.ai-maxtools.com and then try them for yourself -- FREE!
Old 10-31-2020, 10:05 AM

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the update.

so .. just by "PTC has some free resources right now" they tried to occupy our contents. Hmmm.. does not sound that serious to me at the end of day.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the update.

so .. just by "PTC has some free resources right now" they tried to occupy our contents. Hmmm.. does not sound that serious to me at the end of day.
Hi Wolfgang,

Well, I don't think that's quite the situation, though it certainly could appear that way. I believe (and I may be mistaken) that they're trying to do this forum consolidation with other sites as well, and they were hoping to get our site into the queue earlier, but then realized that we would want more time for discussion.

So that's what I understand at this point. If I learn anything different, I'll comment again!
Old 04-14-2021, 12:40 PM

well, 6 months later.. 3 months later than "until january"..

And not a single activitiy of the PTC's rep. To underline "of THAT *ANONYMOUS* PTC's rep"

IMHO PTC wanted to get 'low hanging fruits' for their own advantage only. But even those they are not able to pick up for the Modeling community. THEY FAILED.

In german language we call it "a lot of hot air - with nothing behind it" .. That is still my personally opinion regarding that mail I got on 01.OCT.2020, 22:58 CET.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:53 AM

I just noticed that the 2 year old of PTC's air number is behind us.

Occasionally I'm quite happy that I've learned (albeit late) to "open my mouth" and don't accept many things like that anymore. Yes, I sometimes get headwind afterwards, but I can take it.