CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Modeling Personal Edition

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 04:03 PM

living hinge

I'm designing a small plastic part with a living hinge . I have the specifications for the hinge itself , but I'm not sure how to model its operation in 3d cad - where is the axis of rotation , or is there more than one? It's a catch that fits over a peg so I need to be able to visualise the sweep it makes and it's final position. Any ideas?

Last edited by thegroover; 06-29-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Re: living hinge

I don't know of any way to simulate this accurately in CoCreate Modeling. You cannot deform a single solid part like that. The FEA module can only simulate small linear deformations, not the large deformations that are required for flexing a plastic hinge. You might be able to fake it using sheet metal bending operations but I don't know if it would be accurate. If you just want visualization you could cut the part at the hinge then use Assembly relations to rotate the hinge portion and animate it, but you would have to know how the hinge moves.

For people like me who didn't know what a living hinge is, a quick web search turned up this page.

http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/plastic_design/hinge.cfm
Old 01-11-2010, 07:47 PM

hello,a lot of vendor provide 3d model in many kinds of format to its standard parts product, you can ask your vendor about this information.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:50 PM

sorry miss your question, but some vendor still provide 3d model for it's real working suitation, for example the extension/compress spring, or you need to create animation yourself according your spec.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:50 AM

There are a few good plastic Design Guides out there that would greatly assist you in making a living hinge; Honeywell (Allied-Signal) Plastics Guide, GE Plastics (now owned by SABIC) has a good guide, the Brigham-Young University Plastic Guide, Ohio State Snap-Fit Guide 619, Bayer Plastics ATI Design Guide, Borg-Waner Plastic Design Manual, The ASME Snap-Fit Guide, DuPont Plastic Molding Guide, The NJIT of Plastic to Plastic Fastening, Celanese-Ticona Plastic Snap-Fits for Assembly, VCC-Cliplite LED Snaps, Ryton Design Guide, Basell PP Guide, and the Lifetime Hinges on Good Design; Injection Molding Magazine -December 1996.

Most of these can be found easily on the web. In a google search, use the " -filetype:PDF " option for " plastic snap design "

With a CAD model living hinge, you will need to bisect the flexing axis to model the before and after joint. If it flexes you will need to use angles to project the deformation onto some planes. Personally with something like this, I've done it easily in another CAD software and verified the results using ANSYS, but it might be doable in CoCreate with more operations.

Jason: "How much does it pay?"
Citizen: "Well, none of our other sheriffs ever lived long enough to find out."

Co-Create 2007 (15.50G)
ANSYS Workbench 14
SolidWorks 2011
UGNX-7.5 / TeamCenter UA 8
PADS 2000
Applicon Bravo
Autotrol
CADAM
Pro/E

Last edited by BMaverick; 01-12-2010 at 08:57 AM.