CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Drafting

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 12:51 AM

Question user configurations

It is possible to move the user folder (in my case is: "C:\Documents and Settings\canzonerig\Application Data\CoCreate\ME10\13.20") in a folder like "c:\me10\configurations" ????
Old 07-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Re: user configurations

That is a really good question. It seems like there should be a way to set the path used to save the Drafting user settings but I'm not aware of one. The me10.ini file can be used to set the default path for several features (items ending in DIR), but as far as I know none of them affect where the user settings are saved.

There is a command ME_HOME_DIRECTORY which returns the current path setting. You can display it by entering this on the command line.

DISPLAY (ME_HOME_DIRECTORY)

But it seems that you cannot use ME_HOME_DIRECTORY to set the path.

LET ME_HOME_DIRECTORY "C:\DraftHome"

results a message that ME_HOME_DIRECTORY is not a macro name.

Maybe someone from CoCreate can let us know if there is a secret command or variable which can be used to set this path.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:47 PM

Hello everyone,

We have been asking CoCreate this very same question for the past 4 years. And so far the answer has been there is no switch in Drafting (ME10) to place the users files in another directory.

But there is one in Modeling (SolidDesigner) interesting.....

Maybe they can do something in 16.50 before it is released.

Cheers,
Thom
Old 07-16-2009, 09:52 PM

Thom,
can you write the solution for Modeling, my users have it also....

Tks

Sunil
Old 07-17-2009, 04:10 AM

Hello Sunil,

The switch in Modeling is SDUSERCUSTOMIZEDIR and we usually set this in a cmd startup files for Modeling as follows.

set SDUSERCUSTOMIZEDIR=drive:\path

hth,

Cheers
Thom
Old 07-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Ivancso View Post
The switch in Modeling is SDUSERCUSTOMIZEDIR and we usually set this in a cmd startup files for Modeling as follows.

set SDUSERCUSTOMIZEDIR=drive:\path
As Thom points out, you can set this in a cmd file (i.e. a batch file) that you use to start Modeling. This is useful if you want to use different customization directories at different times. Note that SDUSERCUSTOMIZEDIR must be defined before Modeling starts to use the new directory!

If you always want to use the same customization directory and don't want to start using a batch file (i.e. if you just want to start Modeling in the usual way), you can set an environment variable through My Computer -> View System Information -> Advanced -> Environment Variables.

It's also possible to set the environment variable as part of the command line used to start Modeling by including an additional "-e" argument such as -e SDUSERCUSTOMIZEDIR=c:\mydir.

So you've actually got at least 3 ways of doing this for Modeling -- if you would like more information, just ask!

Good luck!

andy
See them in action at www.ai-maxtools.com and then try them for yourself -- FREE!
Old 07-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scheffel View Post
There is a command ME_HOME_DIRECTORY which returns the current path setting. You can display it by entering this on the command line....
I ran some experiments and it seems that you CAN set the path for the user settings by using an environment variable named ME_HOME_DIRECTORY. For example in a startup batch file you could use...

set ME_HOME_DIRECTORY=C:\DATA\ME_HOME

Or you can set it as part of the Windows environment per Andy's instructions above. At least it works for Drafting 2008 (16). I don't know about earlier versions. Setting this in the me10.ini file did not work.

I find it amazing that Thom asked CoCreate about this and never got an answer. But past experience has shown that sometimes it's better to just try some things and see if they work instead of asking.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scheffel View Post
I ran some experiments and it seems that you CAN set the path for the user settings by using an environment variable named ME_HOME_DIRECTORY. For example in a startup batch file you could use...

set ME_HOME_DIRECTORY=C:\DATA\ME_HOME

Or you can set it as part of the Windows environment per Andy's instructions above. At least it works for Drafting 2008 (16). I don't know about earlier versions. Setting this in the me10.ini file did not work.

I find it amazing that Thom asked CoCreate about this and never got an answer. But past experience has shown that sometimes it's better to just try some things and see if they work instead of asking.
I can confirm John's findings -- that it works for v16. However, trying it with v15 did NOT work for me... So it appears to be a new setting as of v16. If anyone finds out how to set this for versions prior to v16, let's share it here...

andy
See them in action at www.ai-maxtools.com and then try them for yourself -- FREE!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Poulsen View Post
I can confirm John's findings -- that it works for v16. However, trying it with v15 did NOT work for me... So it appears to be a new setting as of v16. If anyone finds out how to set this for versions prior to v16, let's share it here...
I tried version 14.50 and 15.50D and found the same thing. The ME_HOME_DIRECTORY variable did not work in those versions. So it must be a new feature in version 16. Maybe they finally added Thom's enhancement request. Unfortunately this will not help the original poster Sunil who appears to be running version 13.20.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:07 AM

Well it is good to know this is in the new code, one more thing to check off the wish list.

I just did a test and it works as needed in Drafting 16.00D.

Cheers,
Thom
Old 07-22-2009, 06:32 AM

Did you try a search on 'ME_HOME_DIRECTORY' in the <drafting-dir>/locale/en , all files? Well in 16.00 of course.

I would have expected it in appendix.htm. But i have wrong version, here.

------------------------------------

a symbolic link might help here!

Directory symbolic links are known as NTFS junctions in Windows

At least you'll find your data at the path you expect them to be.

Another possibility would be to use the (good old) SUBST command.
Code:
subst z: "%APPDATA%"
Old 07-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Did you try a search on 'ME_HOME_DIRECTORY' in the <drafting-dir>/locale/en , all files? Well in 16.00 of course.

I would have expected it in appendix.htm. But i have wrong version, here.
I also thought it would be in the v16 appendix.htm file (which documents many environment variables) but it is not. I searched all the files in my Drafting 16.00C install folder but the only instances of string ME_HOME_DIRECTORY I found were in the Programming Reference and they all referred to the command which returns the current setting. It seems the documentation hasn't caught up with this new feature yet.