CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > General > Web Site and Forum Info

View Poll Results: Should we merge the CoCreate User Forum into the PTC/USER Portal Site?
Yes, I think the CoCreate forums should be part of the PTC/USER portal 16 18.60%
No, I prefer to keep the CoCreate User Forum separate 70 81.40%
Voters: 86. This poll is closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 09:53 AM

Re: Proposal to Merge CoCreate User Forum with PTC/USER Portal Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo82 View Post
For me the best solution (if possible) is to insert a section about CoCreate in the PTC forums that redirect the user to this site.
I was thinking along these same lines as well. This gives an official tie in with PTC/User, while retaining the look/feel/one stop shopping. I may change my mind if/when our company begins using other PTC products such as ArborText and/or MathCAD. Plus it fits with the strong independent streak many of us long time SolidDesigners seem to have (I know I know and ME10/ME30/Modeling. . . )

That may be more slashes per paragraph than I've ever used - maybe I'm already seeing things with a PTC point of view :-)
Old 07-03-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausb View Post
You're right, there is none. I got this confused with PTC's own user forums ( http://www.ptc.com/forums/ ).
What's the difference between the PTC forums and the PTC/User forums? Is that already a two-stop shopping scenario?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffz View Post
We have both public and private access controlled forums.

The quoting behavior is configurable per each forum. The Adepters list (Arbortext users) use the classical forum model so there is not the overhead of the hybrid forum/listserv.
If I understand it right now non-public forums is something what a normal but registered user does not see at all.

You already mentioned in your 1st post that the "Adepters list" does not support the mailing list capability. Nevertheless some threads show a lot of (IMHO!) useless quoting. This might be 'old' user habits.

------------------------- off topic ----------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffz View Post
If it were my choice we would be straight forum all the way across - but we have some users with 15 years of experience with the listserv model.
well, we have some users with 11 years of 'forum' experience, even when it have been another forum software that time AFAIR.

And I'm sometimes surprised myself that there are everytime some users reading,searching for information in these rather old archives forums (nn viewing).
Old 07-03-2008, 02:53 PM

Thumbs up Re: Proposal to Merge CoCreate User Forum with PTC/USER Portal Site

I will abstain from voting on this forum topic since I'm a PTC Product Manager for CoCreate products...

But on another note, our vision for CoCreate users and PTC/USER (the independent organization) are selfishly directed towards future activity within the technical committees. CoCreate product management will need users to volunteer and play an active role inside PTC/USER for the success of CoCreate products in the future. Having good user participation in the technical committees will speak volumes to PTC, the product management team, and jump start the new process of determining future product enhancements!

How easily we come together, will be a win-win for all of us - PTC, PTC/USER, CoCreate users, and the CoCreate product management team. PTC/USER World Event 2008 was the first step, the forum discussion is second, and the technical committes won't be far behind.

Thank you to everyone for participating in the discussion.

Last edited by dszostak; 07-03-2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Add URL
Old 07-03-2008, 05:02 PM

Howdy all-

I wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts regarding the forums. I completely understand the concerns about not losing any existing functionality and maintaining privacy.

I am the Conference Director for PTC/USER, and I met several of you during the World Event in Long Beach. Prior to working for PTC/USER, I spent many years at Motorola as an administrator for our division's CAD/CAM/CAE tools including Applicon and later, Pro/ENGINEER. During my tenure, I was a vehement supporter of user groups and encouraged my staff to participate in the online forums (a big mailing list in those days) as well as going to user meetings. Not everything you need for success is provided by the software vendor and the user community is often times the means to get an accurate answer to a problem, quickly.

I wanted to provide some food for thought and emphasize an important point. In the software industry, many user groups are operated by the software vendor's marketing department. Still others have a board comprised of users, but the group is still financed and run by the software maker.

PTC/USER is different. PTC/USER was independently founded by end users, and is operated and financed purely by the user community. We are not PTC employees, and we do not receive funding from PTC. Why is this important?

1. Privacy. This has been a cornerstone of our beliefs for the past 19 years. We do not share member data entered on the portal with anyone outside of PTC/USER.

2. Credibility. PTC/USER is not beholden to any particular viewpoint, other than making sure there is a fair and free flow of ideas and information. We have no vested interest in selling anything. We don't particularly care if the discussions in our forums make PTC "look good" or not. We provide a venue where users can interact with each other, and with PTC, in an open and honest discussion.

3. Advocacy. We are the independent voice of PTC customers worldwide, and are recognized by PTC as such. PTC/USER ensures that your concerns and issues are heard, all the way up to senior management if necessary.

As an example, our Technical Committees have been quite successful in working with PTC Product Managers to implement user feedback in the software. I don't know the current numbers but historically, over 80% of submitted enhancement requests managed by the Technical Committees have appeared at some point in the software. In my opinion, few companies are able to boast such success in aligning their products with user needs.

For CoCreate users, I think joining PTC/USER presents a tremendous opportunity to influence PTC thinking in terms of product development and direction. The Technical Committees, Regional Groups and the member portal offer different resources to help you achieve your personal and company objectives. Working together with a united front, we all can achieve much.

Anyhow, I am always open to your suggestions and concerns. Please feel free to post them here or to send them to me directly at rick.snider@ptcuser.org.

Best Wishes,
Rick
Old 07-03-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmatelich View Post
What's the difference between the PTC forums and the PTC/User forums? Is that already a two-stop shopping scenario?
As far as I can tell, yes.

Claus
Old 07-06-2008, 03:00 PM

I also voted no, but would consider if a link from the PTC-Users site to the CoCreate-Users site, and vice-versa.

Just my two cents ...

Happy 4th all ...
Old 07-07-2008, 08:37 AM

I like the independence of this thread, where any questions that are "uncomfortable" for PTC would not be eliminated.

Merging would mean less shopping around for answers. However; with favorites set, it is easy to switch between forums.

So my vote is no.

Creo Elements/Direct 20.1
Dell Precision 3581
https://www.o-i.com
Old 07-31-2008, 10:21 AM

It looks like the poll has been closed, so I was unable to vote. However, my preference would be to initially create a prominent link from the PTC/User discussion forum to the current CoCreate User Forum, and in parallel encourage exisiting CoCreate Users to register in PTC/User and start to take advantages of some of the other features.

Then we can examine the merging of of the forums at a later date.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:24 AM

I happened to have been there, and the people there were merely left untouched.

And beginner like me 'a mute' just suddenly replied to the questions....

Anyhow, lots of them are unanswered and looks like quiet, too.

Oh forgot to drop down the link... perhaps you know them.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:48 PM

I have recently taken a job that uses Co-Create/SolidWorks/UGNX.

It seems that there is 54,700+ Co-Create OneSpace and ME10/ME30 files transferred to our
division from a closed division 2 states away. With knowing a half dozen other CAD
systems, I was chosen (by default) to be the Co-Create user.

The past two months have been a tough road learning this software and how the previous
division used it.

Your forums this week had saved out company over a mega money to access data in
Co-Create due to an unexpected error-377. The posted info in the Archive part of the
forum solved the problem. Therefore, today I joined the forum rather than being a reader
all of these months.

Yes, I did call the PTC support number, but they mentioned that there was two ways to fix
the error-377. The support way, which requires 10s or maybe a 100 man hours to fix in
this large assembly or a non-supported way that they could not offer. The answer from
your forums solved our dilemma.

As for your forum going to the other PTC/USERS forum, I would have never found the right
information if the archive data was not Google searchable nor public readable.

Your forum is helping more users or soon to be new users than you will ever know.

Thank you and your user base again for being a VITAL part in the Co-Create realm and
legacy support.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMaverick View Post
Your forums this week had saved out company over a mega money to access data in
Co-Create due to an unexpected error-377. The posted info in the Archive part of the
forum solved the problem.
[...]
As for your forum going to the other PTC/USERS forum, I would have never found the right
information if the archive data was not Google searchable nor public readable.
Welcome to the International User Forum - and thanks for a great example of the value of an open forum!

Claus
Old 08-07-2009, 08:37 AM

Just received an invite to join the PTC/User Community today.

If Toshi's remarks are still true, I'll just stay here in this forum where the greatest amount of CoCreate wealth of knowledge resides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wathavy View Post
I happened to have been there, and the people there were merely left untouched.

And beginner like me 'a mute' just suddenly replied to the questions....

Anyhow, lots of them are unanswered and looks like quiet, too.

Oh forgot to drop down the link... perhaps you know them.

Jason: "How much does it pay?"
Citizen: "Well, none of our other sheriffs ever lived long enough to find out."

Co-Create 2007 (15.50G)
ANSYS Workbench 14
SolidWorks 2011
UGNX-7.5 / TeamCenter UA 8
PADS 2000
Applicon Bravo
Autotrol
CADAM
Pro/E