CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Modeling Personal Edition

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 03:08 PM

saving "SIGNAL RECEIVED: Segmentation violation"

Hi guys. I have CoCreate Modeling P 2.0 and even when saving an EMPTY draw, i get that error. This is driving me nuts. Any experience about this regard?

Thanks a lot!
Old 01-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Re: saving "SIGNAL RECEIVED: Segmentation violation"

There isn't a single cause or solution for Segmentation Violation errors. If you search this forum for the string segmentation you will find many past discussions which may help you.

Segmentation violations are usually not repeatable. They seem to be kind of random but it may just be that people can't remember the exact sequence of steps that caused the error. Are you saying that this occurs whenever you save a drawing even after you exit and restart Modeling PE?

When they occur the best advice is to save your work and exit immediately because the stability of the session may deteriorate after one occurs. But in your case it sounds like this occurs whenever you save so that won't help.

I assume you have already tried exiting and restarting Modeling PE. You might also try rebooting your computer. If that doesn't help an uninstall/reinstall of Modeling PE might fix it.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:35 AM
Administrator

In addition to what John proposes, I would recommend renaming your user customization directory to make sure you're starting with a clean environment. This is definitely worth trying before doing a reinstallation for a couple of reasons: 1) it's a lot easier and quicker, and 2) if the problem is somewhere in your user customization directory, reinstalling Modeling PE won't solve the problem since reinstalling doesn't change any of the data in your user directory.

The machine I'm on at the moment doesn't have Modeling PE installed, so I'm not sure what the user directory is for PE 2.0. However, if I recall correctly, the directory for 1.0 was something like c:/Documents and Settings/<your username>/Application Data/CoCreate/OneSpace Modeling PE/14.5 (with 14.5 being the version number). The Modeling PE 2.0 directory should be something similar.

If you just rename this directory (i.e. the 14.5 in the example above could be renamed to "14.5 orig" or something like that), the next time you start Modeling PE a new user directory will be created for you with all clean data. Then you can see if the problem persists the next time you start Modeling PE. If this fixes the problem, then you can either just leave it as-is, or try to figure out what was causing the problem in your previous user directory.

Note: it's a good idea to exit Modeling PE before you rename the user directory to make sure your next start will be nice and clean!

I hope this helps!

andy
See them in action at www.ai-maxtools.com and then try them for yourself -- FREE!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:48 AM

To find where your user customization directory is located from within CoCreate Modeling Personal Edition, select Edit-->Settings-->UI Settings.
Bring the Customizations tab to the front. Select Show Directories

The output window will show you where all the customization directories are located.
You are looking specifically for the User Customization Directory.
Be sure Modeling Personal edition is not running when you rename the user customization directory.