CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Modeling Personal Edition
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 07:56 AM

draw Threaded rod

Hi there,I woder if any one would help me with this,I am trying to thread the end of the attached jpg.this is my first attempt with CAD so I will need instruction in great detail (sorry).Failing that how about a tutorial to create a short length of threaded rod.
Thanks for your help and patience (I have a feeling this is only the first cry for help of many) Paul
ps I am new to CAD and this is my first drawing (I won't embarrass my self by telling you how long it took)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen shot.png
Views:	528
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	1746  
Old 11-06-2010, 01:35 PM

Re: draw Threaded rod

put a workplane on the axis of the rod and draw the required thread cross-section, in this case probably a 1.25mm long triangle with 60º pitch.
Then use the helical sweep removal tool to cut this shape along the length of the bar.

regards
Frederick
Old 11-10-2010, 04:26 AM

Hi there Frederick,thanks very much for your help,I have tried your suggestions and managed to get it to work.I also found your suggestions worked with the remove helix tool but I get a error message about intersections.I dont have access to my computer at the moment as I am away from home this week so I can't remember exactly what the message was.I will be back home at the weekend so I will post a more acurate question then.
Thanks again Paul
Old 11-10-2010, 05:49 PM

Lightbulb Re: draw Threaded rod

This is other way to create 2D drawing as if it were machined with M20x2.5x40mm length external thread.

I milled round using very thin drawing to show hidden line.Only 270 degree turn around the axis will show this drawing.

Then you could create the standard 2D drawing.

Forget about this if you are only interested in making 3D thread object than 2D mechanical drawing.
Best regards.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M20x2.5x49L on Dia20x200mm.png
Views:	508
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1749  
Attached Files
File Type: zip M20x2.5x49L on Dia20x200mm.bd2.zip (23.4 KB, 425 views)
File Type: zip M20x2.5x49L on Dia20x200mm.pk2.zip (14.6 KB, 429 views)

Last edited by wathavy; 11-10-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:55 AM

Hi
Of course there are many ways to do the Thread part. I just use the subtracted triangle method because its fast to do, easy to change etc etc.
I guess the error may be on your triangle. The corners must not overlap or be short. Use the split tool to correct overlap.
The people on this forum are most helpful, just post the problem, someone will answer in good time.
Best
FJW