CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Drafting

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2007, 04:45 AM

Basic operations

Hi. I'm new in this software, and I need some help.As a beginner I'm looking for an analogy with acad, but it's not easy. This is the whole different way of thinking.

I need help about some basic operation such as: You know when you want to stretch line in ACAD for, say, 10mm...there are different ways to do this..but I do it this way: click on the line, and when the osnap markers shows I take end point marker and move cursor in side that I want to stretch and then type 10mm...and I get line that is 10mm longer. You all knew that...but how can I do exactly the same operation in this software?

Thank You.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Re: Basic operations

You mentioned AutoCAD. Are you talking about stretching something in a 2D workplane, a 3D model, or a Drawing?

In a 2D workplane you can use Modify 2D/Transform/Stretch to stretch 2D geometry

For a 3D Model you can typically just Move a face or multiple faces and the attached faces will stretch to remain attached.

If this doesn't answer your question it would help if you could provide more details. Attached screen shots are always helpful since it is sometimes difficult to visualize what people are describing.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:15 PM

I'm sorry. I'm working in 2D CoCreate Model Space Drafting (For Win) VER. 2005.

Here are some pictures that maybe can illustrate my problem

http://www.speedyshare.com/594520133.html

Pic.1 is what I have at the beginig, and Pic.2 is final result that I want to achieve. I did it this way: first offset end lines for 10mm and then extend center lines..but there are too many steps to get this. I need it faster.

Pic.3 is what I get whit stretch command.

There is one more thing that I need (for now ) if it is possible. Can I rotate Coordinate System (like in ACAD), so that I can draw under certain angle?

I noticed that some things I can't do in this version, that can be done in 2007...for example...I can't just to click on the line and to get osnap markers, but that is possible in 2007.

Thank You for Your help.

Last edited by ercegs; 10-02-2007 at 02:14 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Administrator

In the future you can attach JPG images directly to your post and avoid use of a sharing web site. Just click the Manage Attachments button below the edit form when creating your posts. You may have to scroll down to see it.

As best I can tell from your images you just want to stretch the centerline horizontally so it extends beyond the vertical lines. Normally you would use Modify/Stretch to extend a centerline but as shown in your third image this did not provide the result you wanted.

I think the problem is that your centerline shares a common endpoint with the vertical line, so when you stretch the centerline the end of the vertical line moves with it. If you click Setup/Show then check Vertex under the General tab you can see the endpoints of the lines. If the endpoint is green then it is associated with only one line. If it is yellow it is associated with mulitple lines. By default Drafting will connect lines at a common endpoint if you create them by picking endpoints of existing lines. I don't know an easy way to disconnect them once created, but it would be best to avoid drawing them connected in the first place. You can create a horizontal construction line first, then draw the centerline extended beyond the vertical lines so it does not have to be stretched later.

I don't think Drafting supports rotating the coordinate system or using alternate coordinate systems. If you can describe why you want to do this maybe people can propose workarounds.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:39 PM

Thank You very much for help.

I'm curious about this splitting options under setup menu. Could You please tell me what is it for?

I've noticed (when I draw a few crossed lines) that this program automatically break them at their intersection points, and that is why I have this problem with stretching.

Is this splitting option (mentioned above) have something to do with this?

Is there any option like "breake at point" in acad? I dont want to break every line, but I want some...

Thanks.

Last edited by ercegs; 10-02-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:55 PM

Could You tell me how to set up my dimension style, so that dimension text allways be in the center of dimension line (above but in middle).

Like it is in picture 1

Thank You
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	941  
Old 10-03-2007, 04:12 AM

from the drafting help pages:
(in this case OSD_Drafting_200x/locale/en/me_help/me_helpd.htm#DIM_TEXT_LOCATION)
Code:
-->(DIM_TEXT_LOCATION)-----+---(ABOVE)---+----->
                           |             |
                           +---(ON)------+
                           |             |
                           +---(BELOW)---+
DIM_TEXT_LOCATION specifies that the text for the new dimensions should be above, on, or below the dimension line.

first one is the one you are looking for
Old 10-03-2007, 04:24 AM

Yes...I know that...but I need text to bo Above and in center....If You look that picture in the previous post...letter 1 is in the middle of dimension line...but in cocreate...when I choose dim-single-horizontal...I don't know how to put text right in the middle of dim line (but it is above)...In acad there is an option for centering text "horizontal" & "vertical"..For Vertical I set up "above" and fof "horizontal" - "cente". But in here I jave only Vertical position and it is "above"...But when I dimensionig something, my text is moving along that dim. line and I can't put it in the center

Thanks
Old 10-03-2007, 04:50 AM

Use this commande:
DIM_CATCH_RANGE 10

10 spercify the area above the cursor to find the middle. If your drawing is big, use 50.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofischer View Post
Use this commande:
DIM_CATCH_RANGE 10

10 spercify the area above the cursor to find the middle. If your drawing is big, use 50.
Thanks...I did't...Tahnk You very much...
Old 10-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercegs View Post
I'm curious about this splitting options under setup menu. Could You please tell me what is it for?

I've noticed (when I draw a few crossed lines) that this program automatically break them at their intersection points, and that is why I have this problem with stretching.

Is this splitting option (mentioned above) have something to do with this?

Is there any option like "breake at point" in acad? I dont want to break every line, but I want some...
The Splitting setting does determine whether or not existing lines are automatically split when new lines are connected to them. Here is what the Help has to say about the Splitting setting:
Quote:
SPLITTING turns automatic splitting and merging ON or OFF.
Automatic splitting/merging has the following effects:
  • Whenever a new element is created, the system checks to see if its end points lie on other elements. If so, it splits the other elements there if possible (see SPLIT).
  • With each DELETE (except DELETE ALL), if the deleted element shared an end point with two other elements, these two are merged if possible (see MERGE).
  • With CIRCLE TAN2_PT, the resulting "circle" is actually two arcs forming a circle, whose vertices are the tangent points.
These operations keep contours clean (important for automatic hatching), at the expense of search time, which can be considerable in a viewport with many elements.
You can also use the Modify/Split and Modify/Merge commands to manually split lines at a selected point and merge lines which are split into a single line.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:09 AM

Ok...I had problems with hatching and now I'm realizing that it's better if this command is checked.

But, could you please tell me what is "CATCH VERTEX command" and how to use it?

Do I have to type it in command line and how, because I can't find it anywhere. (mybe this is a stupid question, but....)

Thanks in advance
Old 10-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
But, could you please tell me what is "CATCH VERTEX command" and how to use it?
Have you taken any of the self paced training on Drafting? A little training can reduce the kind of frustration you are experiencing. There is a self paced Getting Started tutorial under the Drafting Help menu. You can also download a more detailed Drafting tutorial from:

http://www.cocreate.com/learn

Almost everything in Drafting can be done with the commands listed under Help, Program Ref Guide. There is a CATCH command but it is easier to change the catch setting from the user interface.

Assuming that you are running the Windows interface, the current Catch mode is set from a drop down list in the "Status Line" toolbar below the viewport. By default it says "ALL", but can be changed to other options (VERTEX, ELEM, INTERSECTION) to restrict which viewport elements the cursor will catch to.

Below is what the Help has to say about the Catch mode.
Quote:
The CATCH function sets the catching mode. This mode controls how input points are interpreted, and allows the user to select a point on the screen without having to put the cursor directly on that point. The system catches to a point only if it lies within the imaginary circle around the edges of the small cursor.

The catching mode is only set for the next pick. If option PERMANENT is selected, the chosen catch mode stays in effect until changed. The options RANGE and NO_VIEWPORT_RANGE, however, are not affected by PERMANENT. They always keep their range values until they are changed.

ALL is the default. It looks for a vertex, then for an intersection, then for a grid point, then for an element (point anywhere on an element). If it finds a vertex within the catch range, it catches to the closest such vertex; otherwise, it proceeds with intersections and so on similarly. Vertices are normally end points of arcs, splines, or straight elements, though with SHOW VERTEX ON you can see (and catch to) a few additional vertices. Intersections can be between any two elements, or between an element and the ruler. If the system can't find any of these, it uses the input point as given.

VERTEX, INTERSECTION, GRID, and ELEM allow you to say what kind of catching you want, saving some time over the more general ALL option. CENTER catches to the center of circles and arcs, and midpoints of lines; in this case, it is the element that you pick with the cursor, and not the midpoint. OFF turns off catching completely. These options are normally in force for only one catch, after which the mode switches automatically back to ALL. If you use the PERMANENT option, the selected catch mode stays in effect until you change it again.

OFF allows you to enter all points without any correction.

The definition of "grid points" varies, depending on the catch mode and whether you have a ruler, dot or line grid, or no grid at all. If the catch mode is GRID, the grid points are the ones you would see if you turned a grid on, whether you have actually done so or not. You are reminded of this by the x-y display in the status line, which hops from grid point to grid point as you move the cursor around. If the catch mode is ALL, then the grid points are only the ones you see. That is, if you have a line or dot grid on your screen, those are the grid points; if you have a ruler, the grid points are only the ticks on the axes; if you have neither grid nor ruler, there are no grid points.

It is an error (beep) to set the catch mode to INTERSECTION, VERTEX, GRID, CENTER or ELEM, and then try to catch to something else.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:03 AM

Thanks once again..I didn't realize that it is snap function.

You see, because I'm new in this one, I'm constantly looking for similarity with acad...so mybe I'm a little bit slow...but I have allready drawn one detail drawing with parts function in scale, with hatch...layers...dimensioning...I passed through tutorial but tutorial is very simple..But there are still some "knick-knacks" that I have to figure them out so I can do faster.

I'm very appreciate your help...

Thanks
Old 10-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks once again..I didn't realize that it is snap function.
I guess snap is probably a more common term for what Catch does. But the term Catch goes way back to early ME10 on Unix, long before AutoCAD, Solidworks, or any of the CAD applications developed solely for Windows hit the market. So we can forgive CoCreate for using a different term.