CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > Enhancement Requests

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2005, 06:44 PM

Angry Drafting-Dimension to shared parts on all levels

I'd like to be able to dimension to shared subparts and subsubparts, etc, regardless of their hierarchy in the part structure. Currently, dimensions will only snap to entities of shared parts that are no more than one level lower than the current part, unlike dimensioning to unshared parts, or when drawing or measuring, where the cursor will snap to all entities and points regardless of part level. I have to add trace lines and extra points to dimension to any shared subpart such as a shared nut or bolt that is contained in a shared part that is one level lower than the current part I am dimensioning in. Either that, or I must unshare the subparts. The first option is is pure time wasting tedium, and breaks the connection between shared parts between layouts and drawings. destroys much of the utility of using shared parts, at least for me. I have both a layout which uses "bare" shared parts and subassemblies where I do my design, and detailed drawings of the parts and subassemblies where I add dimensions, all in the same file. The idea was, if I updated a part or subassembly in the layout, the drawings would automatically update. No such luck.