CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Modeling
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 01:26 AM

One space designer versus Inventor

I would like to hear some opinions about those two. I know Inventor is parameter based. I have worked with it and it was good that model and drawing were linked which is not the case in one space.

But i would like to hear some comments on those two concerning use of quality versus price, dual processors, graphics cards, database management, programming,...

Background information : at the end we want to work with whole ships with everything on it (engines,pumps,every bolt and nut used on the ship).

We now have the problem that one space seems to work with only one processor core and use of a 64-bit can give problems. (That is what the IT people tell me). But there is also the issue of managing standard parts.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:27 AM

Re: One space designer versus Inventor

Hi,
It's sort of pity of someone to move from here to other, but you might as well try those forums of inventors perhaps.

ie:
http://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=790&page=1
for example.

I don't know too much about CAD software creation, but as far as I know,
all they have to do is to compile the software with 64 bit option to let it work.
And if the software is made with thread(s) (Worker thread for example) it will use dual core or quad core, as far as I have heard.

I am making sort of software now, and I bought Quad core so it can run processes parallel. If it works as I wish, there is no doubt that CoCreate can let it do so... I bet.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:06 AM

I don't know anything about Inventor, so I'll focus on CoCreate Modeling only.

We've been shipping a 64-bit version of CoCreate Modeling for a number of years now, and I haven't heard of any significant issues with it. There may be the occasional driver here and there which you won't be able to get for 64-bit systems, but this problem will affect all CAD apps, not just CoCreate Modeling.

I cannot disclose any detail information, but we have customers who work with the 64-bit version and design models which are probably just as complex as ships.

Over the past several releases, we've been adding multithreading support to several important functionality areas (examples: rendering, graphics, drawing generation). Over time, we expect even more functionality to take advantage of multi-core systems.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:19 AM

If you're ship building Inventor probably isn't the package you want to go with. That way it's coded Assemblies eat up a ton more memory than other packages, or at least that was the case 5 years ago.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I have worked with it and it was good that model and drawing were linked which is not the case in one space. But i would like to hear some comments on those two concerning use of quality versus price, dual processors, graphics cards, database management, programming,...
The drawing is linked to the model in CoCreate Modeling. The model is the master, so you always change the model and then update the drawing. Most people prefer this to always do changes to the 3D model to know the ramifications in the 3D assembly.

CoCreate has a data management solution called Model Manager that has specific functionality to handle large assemblies like support for partially loaded assemblies (assembly structure only) and for lightweight assemblies (graphical model only). This functionality helps you load large assemblies by saving memory and loading time.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:34 PM

Thx for response every one. It helped.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:49 PM

Hi to All

Well, as I know Inventor it has better graphical view ,
but it is for sure processor and memory hungry.
It has strong ACAD compatibles and supports all around.

Is You start width 3D modeling (beginning) than I say go Inventor.

From may point of view more important in drafting are :
- how strong is Your skilling and knowledge of modeling
- SD is program for general modeling, here it can work fast and competitive
- if You have some specific needing ( rendering, boat hulls, etc..) tray others