CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Support > Customization

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2004, 08:11 PM

Watch out for "Standard" vs. "Professional"

Watch out for Visual C++ .Net, the Standard edition (~USD$100) does not have the optimizing compiler and may make .dlls that won't run on all systems.

The Professional version with the optimizing compiler is several times more expensive.

Now Microsoft also provides as a free download the "Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003" which purports to have the same optimizing compiler and linker as the Professional version, but with that I was unable to get usable results either.

I really could use a solution that works for OSDM 12.x as well as the upcoming 13.x (2005), and hate to have to go backwards in time to a previous and more expensive Microsoft product to do it...
Old 10-12-2004, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Hi Coroto,

I was not familiar with the difference of Standard vs. Pro. However, I think that the problem is likely caused by the fact that OSDM v11 and v12 require VC++ 6.0 -- using VC++ .NET is NOT supported. VC++ .NET (if you can get your files to compile) generates files that in most (if not all) cases won't work.

VS .NET 2003 (and possibly earlier versions of VS .NET -- anyone know?) will work with OSDM 13, but if you want to compile for v11 or v12 you'll need VC++ 6.0 (which fortunately is not too hard to find or too expensive).

Good luck!

andy
See them in action at www.ai-maxtools.com and then try them for yourself -- FREE!
Old 10-12-2004, 11:07 PM

VS.NET Standard Edition should be just fine for compiling LISP code. We have been using it internally for some time. (Our release code is of course optimized, so we use Professional Edition for it.)

With both Standard Edition and Professional Edition, you can generate DLL dependencies which can cause runtime issues on end-user systems. There is no difference between the two editions in this regard. You just need to make sure to get your linker options right. In the case of LISP file compilation, we have already figured out the right linker options for you, of course.

OSDM 2004 (V12) LISP compilation will only work with VC++ 6.0; that's just the way it is. After all, when we released OSDM 2004, VC++ 6 was the only viable option. OSDM 2005 requires VS.NET, and as coroto pointed out, with VS.NET, there are now very inexpensive options from Microsoft for developers.

Claus
Old 10-26-2004, 08:08 AM

Just in case anyone else has to deal with the issue: I purchased Visual C++ .net Standard but as mentioned could not compile for OSDM 12.x.

For once in my life, I have to say "thanks to Microsoft" because they came to the rescue. Turns out that they have a "downgrade" policy http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/previous/downgrade.aspx where you can call their parts center at (800) 360-7561 and for a reasonable fee (about $30 including tax & shipping) they'll send you the previous version (6.0).

That worked out better than trying to snag 6.0 off Ebay, or worse, and it's 100% legitimate. You just give them some info, and they'll send you a downgrade.

With any luck, I'll now be compiling for OSDM 12.x before all the customers switch to the next rev!
Old 11-25-2004, 02:07 AM

Question

Blank,
I have installed OSDM 2005 and Visual Studio .NET 2003
but hour they give this error to me

"Error LISP:
(SYSTEM ("SDLCPAS3" "-i" "C:\\tmp" "-o" ...)) returned a non-zero value 5

What I can make?
Old 11-25-2004, 02:28 AM

Either see the previous discussion in this thread or http://www.clausbrod.de/Osdm/OsdmFaqCustomization#Compiling_a_LISP_file_using_comp for some hints.

Claus
Old 11-25-2004, 12:55 PM

sdlcpass 3 is a batch file (located in the binNT directory)

A short look in to that file to figure out in which case this batch file returns "5" shows:

Code:
  echo Compiler version %major%.%minor% is not supported. 
  echo Please install a more recent version.
  set error=5
  goto end
Unfourtenatly the ECHO commands are not displayed in the console window, that's a pity.

The error message display that you are using the wrong compiler Version.

I admit that I did not follow the whole thread. I just wanted to explain "Error 5"
Old 12-03-2004, 02:17 AM

Question HELP !! HELP !!

It still does not go ..
I have installed :
OSDM 2005
and
"Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003"
"Academic Professional"

but they give always the same error to me...

"Error LISP:
(SYSTEM ("SDLCPAS3" "-i" "C:\\tmp" "-o" ...)) returned a non-zero value 5

why?
Old 12-03-2004, 02:25 AM

Error code 5 means that an unsupported compiler is detected. Maybe you still have an old compiler on your system which has registered itself in the PATH environment variable and is therefore found first?

Simple check: Open a DOS shell window, then enter "cl". This should display the compiler's intro message which includes its version number. For OSDM 2005, the version number of the compiler should be 13.10.xxxx.

If the version number looks good, please post the output which you get in the DOS window when calling cl.exe.

Claus
Old 12-03-2004, 02:25 AM

Error code 5 means that an unsupported compiler is detected. Maybe you still have an old compiler on your system which has registered itself in the PATH environment variable and is therefore found first?

Simple check: Open a DOS shell window, then enter "cl". This should display the compiler's intro message which includes its version number. For OSDM 2005, the version number of the compiler should be 13.10.xxxx.

If the version number looks good, please post the output which you get in the DOS window when calling cl.exe.

Claus
Old 12-03-2004, 04:05 AM

This is the message that appears to me in window DOS after the command cl.exe

Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler versione 13.10.3077 per 80x86
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1984-2002. All rights reserved.

uso: cl [ opzione... ] nomefile... [ /link opzione di collegamento... ]
Old 12-03-2004, 07:52 AM

Andrea,

thanks for the log output. I'm not sure, but I think you have uncovered a problem in the sdlcpas3.bat batch file which is used to run the compiler. Apparently, it cannot cope with Italian versions of the compiler...

Sorry for this. Try the attached new version instead, and please let me know if it works now.

Thanks!

Claus
Attached Files
File Type: zip sdlcpas3.zip (2.4 KB, 338 views)
Old 12-03-2004, 08:50 AM

I have tried your rows... hour give the following error to me.....

"Error LISP:
(SYSTEM ("SDLCPAS3" "-i" "C:\\tmp" "-o" ...)) returned a non-zero value 3

Tasks that if I install the version in English Visual Studio .NET 2003
is worked to?
Old 12-04-2004, 04:18 AM

Which versions of Visual C++/VS.NET are or were installed on that system? Only the Italian version of VS.NET 2003, or also some other version?

If the Italian VS.NET 2003 is the only compiler on the system, then yes, I would try to install the English version since this is the version that was tested in the lab.

However, before you do that, we can try to check if any of the environment variables are set incorrectly on your system:
  • Open a DOS shell window
  • Enter "echo %INCLUDE%"
  • Enter "echo %LIB%"
  • Enter "path"
  • Copy the output of all three commands and post it here or send it to me via private email

Claus
Old 12-05-2004, 10:59 PM

Before I had installed the version Visual Studio 6.0 (italian) and with the command (compile-file) in to OSDM2004 it worked very well.
Then I have then removed it in order to install the new Visual Studio .NET 2003 and OSDM 2005...

The output dos is :

...>echo %INCLUDE%
C:\Programmi\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1\include\

..>echo %LIB%
C:\Programmi\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1\Lib\

...>path
PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Programmi\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\bin\

there are errors?

Last edited by andrea; 12-05-2004 at 11:02 PM.