CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > Enhancement Requests

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.88 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-2003, 06:29 AM

Thumbs up move 3D face-additional alignment functions

One of the greatest features OSD has is the abilty to mate align parts using parts ann assembly/modify position/ mate align/(e.g.)mate face, There are 6 functions associated with the mate align command. In the move 3D face menu align is a very useful command. I would like to see the align 3D face function with the 6 functions used for part positioning. For example, mate face (of the "tip" of a screw) with another part's face. Mate face with offset is extremely useful in the case one needs face part 1 to go as close as possible to a face of part 2, but then face one is offset (clearance) from face 2. This is often needed to maximize size of one part when clearance is required for a part 3.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:14 AM

Are you talking about the functionality of align opposite??

There is also a goody you can read about in documentation called align with offset. Is this the additional functionality you are looking for??
Old 01-23-2003, 09:17 AM

align opposite for a face is the equivalent of mate align of a part, am I right? If it's right that's exactly one of the enhacements Move 3D face needs

Align with offset is what I mean. In the part and asembly...mate align menu ther are 6 options, plus a reverse for the face sense. The align axis, when applied to a hole, would align itself with another hole on a face parallel to the original face. Presently the only way I'm aware of doing this now is copy face/move face/paste. The align axis command for 3D face would simplify this procedure. Is there any easier way?
Old 01-23-2003, 09:23 AM

here is the info for align offset, located in the readme files under goodies.

Activation
(load "goodies/align_offset")
-> a new button is available in the toolbox "Offset Align"
Description
Offset Align works similar to the known Align command, but allows to specify an offset right within one operation.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:38 AM

Sorry for the remedial help request but I tried the following on the OSD command line:

(load "goodies/align_offset")
load "goodies/align_offset"
load "goodies"

I get various LISP errors and "cannot load file goodies" errors. Any suggestions?
Old 01-23-2003, 09:51 AM

I'm assuming your running osdm in windows??

then the cmd structure is (load "align_offset")
the beginning of the document does specify a difference in cmd structure depending on the platform you are running OSDM. Don't worry about the remedial question. I too asked the same question a long time ago.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:18 AM

Cool! That performed the way I wanted, yes I am running WIN NT.
thanks!

Not to beat a dead horse, but I've been experimenting with the align command to get the same functionality of the align axis command in parts. My intention is to get 2 circular holes, which are located on parallel faces, colinear. These holes may be thru holes, or blind holes. They are different radii. Before the 3D move/align, they are ont collinear. If I use align, the holes become colinear, but the radius also changes, as I would expect. Is there a way to align without copy/paste so the radius stays the same? In other words I just want the holes collinear. I know I can also do a move 3D and translate. However this becomes time consuming if my 2 holes are on face which are not parallel. The beauty of the 3D align axis is the computer figures out how to get co-linear. Using move 3D face, there imultiple moves by dir and length. In these cases it's often simpler for me to make a copy fo the part, and use the mate align function to position the copy. I then delete everything but the feature (the hole, in this simplified example), and then unite the copy to the original. I could show you this with one space if this is difficult to visualize and you're set up for it
Old 01-23-2003, 11:02 AM

hmm you got me there. There no need for a onespace session.
I understand what you're trying to accomplish. My only suggestion would be to make your own user defined cmd, but I guess that defeats the purpose of this forum.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:36 AM

Lightbulb Work around for holes on parallel faces

Quote:
Originally posted by marcvonams
My intention is to get 2 circular holes, which are located on parallel faces, colinear. These holes may be thru holes, or blind holes. They are different radii. Before the 3D move/align, they are ont collinear. If I use align, the holes become colinear, but the radius also changes, as I would expect. Is there a way to align without copy/paste so the radius stays the same?
Assuming the holes are on parallel faces, you could use the Move 3D command with the Translate - 2 Points option. Select just the cylindrical face that you want to move (i.e. do NOT pick the bottom face of a blind hole). Catch to the center of the hole you want to move for the FROM point. Then catch to the center of the hole you want to align with for the TO point. OSDM will move your selected face by the vector you defined with your from and to points. Since the underlying surface of a cylindrical face is an infinite cylinder, the quick preview will not look correct, but the face will automatically extend to the adjacent faces of your part.

You should be able to do something similar for holes on non-parallel faces with the Pt Dir Pt option, but I haven't worked out the steps yet.

Your ER sounds like a good one since the alternative is not very elegant at the moment.

HTH
Old 06-30-2003, 09:30 AM

It should be noted that the Align w/Offset goody requires a Surfacing module. See http://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=11288#post11288 This function should be built in as part of the standard set of Modify 3D commands, not a goody, and not requiring Surfacing.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:31 AM

Re: move 3D face-additional alignment functions

Some changes had been done in the area of Align for 14.0 (2006).
Can someone check, if this satisfies the request and if not, what
is open?

Thanks,

--

Spam goes nospam@ptc.com and spam@postini.com