CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Support > System Administration

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 06:39 AM

One Space Modeling 2004 AND XP64

I am currently moving our CAD workstation from XP to XP64.
Although installation of One Space Drafting had no installation problem,
I am facing difficulties to install One Space Modeling 2004 over Windows XP64.
Anybody has suggestions?

Thanks
Old 01-29-2008, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Re: One Space Modeling 2004 AND XP64

I have never tried to install Modeling 2004 under 64 bit Windows, but I'm pretty sure that it was not supported for version 2004. There is a 64 bit install package for 2006 and 2007, but you need to have a lot of RAM (> 4GB) to get any advantage from using it. See this thread for more details or search the forum for "64 bit". I have also installed 32 bit Modeling 2006 and 2007 under 64 bit Windows and it works.

It might help if you could provide some details on what kind of difficulty you are having. Does the install file run? Do you get and warning or error messages during install? Does the install process work OK but the Modeling won't start? Do you get warnings or errors when you try to start Modeling?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:56 PM

Modeling 2004 was never meant to be used on 64-bit operating systems - and was released before quite some time before XP x64. If memory serves me right, back then the installer was based on a version of InstallShield which still used 16-bit code in a few places - and this kind of code simply won't run on XP x64.

You may have more success if you install Modeling on a 32-bit box first and then copy the installation directory over to the 64-bit box. However, you'd also have to take care of things like registry entries.

However, I'd strongly suggest to upgrade, since this is the only way you can be sure you'll have a stable environment on the new system.

Claus
Old 01-30-2008, 01:24 PM

It took me a little time until I found the 'instruction' I wrote once upon a time.. and I found it on the german cad.de forum. This is about Version 12.00.

As Claus already mentioned... try to install on another system first:

1)
Install the version on a 32bit system. Use exactly the same path for the installation as later used on your XP64 system (this will make it easier later / if drive letter is missing use SUBST command in a DOS shell)

2)
Then copy whole directory structure from 32bit to 64bit system

3)
Then copy the shortcuts in the start menu from 32bit to 64bit system. Adapt the shortcuts to the SolidDesigner.exe where to find the license server (this is normaly written into registry), The shortcut has to be enhance at the end with:

-melshost $MELSHOSTS

so -melshost Machine42 or similar.

4)
If you could not use the same path the following things have to be adjusted:
* startAnnotator.sh.bat
* startDispatcher.lnk
these are the newest files (sort by date) in the binNT subdirectory of the installation dir, Adjust the absolute path names to fit to the 64 bit system.

That's all (as far as I remember)

Good luck! And let us know if it works!