CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > Annotation

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 08:12 AM

Red face Geometry disappears randomly in views

I've been having a strange situation where the 3D geometry disappears in the Annotation MI files at random times while working in the file.

If I click on the UnHide button, everything shows up; the views, the notes, the drawing block, the geometry, etc. However everything is totally grayed out. Thus, the geometry is showing up on the correct side of things.

After a call to tech support, Mike helped to resolve the problem by
View > Show Settings > "check box" Calc Geo.

So, I have a solution, but I have no cause what is un-checking this option at random times while working in Annotation.

Since there is a solution, the problem can be annoying at best.

Anyone having this issue in V15.00A?

Is there a patch release above 15.00A before 16.xx that addresses these things?

Jason: "How much does it pay?"
Citizen: "Well, none of our other sheriffs ever lived long enough to find out."

Co-Create 2007 (15.50G)
ANSYS Workbench 14
SolidWorks 2011
UGNX-7.5 / TeamCenter UA 8
PADS 2000
Applicon Bravo
Autotrol
CADAM
Pro/E
Old 04-20-2009, 11:24 AM

Re: Geometry disappears randomly in views

Are you running any customization? You might have some customziation that is shutting off the geo in the view menu and not turning it back on.

If running customization, try turning it off and running for a short time and see if it stops.
It might be that you're termination an operation or command by using the escape key and the settings are not getting set back correctly like they should.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:40 AM

it's a good idea to break down the problem by removing your customization, at all, and - or step by step.

To remove it all: give this a try: http://osd.cad.de/tricks.en.htm#14 "Unique resetting of all customizations". Then work for a file with this OSD as usual.

2nd.
a)
enter in command line
Code:
(trace am_set_show
This is the command recorded when you manually tick on/off the show settings. Now we are watching this command.
b)
Open the console window to see what is called with am_set_show.

Watch the console window for traces of am_set_show. This might give you further ideas which of your tools you are using does switch off showing calc3D geometry

----------------
to be clear!

the 3D geometry does NOT disappear in the Annotation MI file. It is only not visible in your current Annotation View port. right?

What's happening at your collegues machine? Same? Different?
----------------
I fear quite sure that this is a problem of your local customization. Don't ask for a patch if one else is observing the same problem!
Old 04-20-2009, 11:51 AM

Great advise everyone.

I've worked a few of those items mentioned now.

Well, it seems that my Applicon-Bravo & Auto-Trol skills have caused me some grief using Co-Create.

My random problem is all me. It's operator error.

While using the 2D erase while zoomed close into the drawing, I would exit the command using the ESC key. Hey, it worked on those other LISP CAD systems, why not here. Well, needless to say, the ESC is a sudden abort in Co-Create. When I had aborted the command and then zoom-fitted the window, the geometry could not refresh. Thus, the "Calc Geo" could not be rendered.

After a few minuets on the phone with Mike at the support desk on another problem, we talked about this thing. It seems that the green check mark is to be used vs. the ESC key. I had tried it the correct way. My geometry stayed.

Funny how little things like this can through a curve ball your way during the day.

Co-Create 2007 (15.50G)
ANSYS Workbench 14
SolidWorks 2011
PADS 2000
Applicon Bravo
Autotrol
CADAM
Pro/E
Old 04-20-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMaverick View Post
While using the 2D erase while zoomed close into the drawing, I would exit the command using the ESC key. Hey, it worked on those other LISP CAD systems, why not here. Well, needless to say, the ESC is a sudden abort in Co-Create. When I had aborted the command and then zoom-fitted the window, the geometry could not refresh. Thus, the "Calc Geo" could not be rendered.
Hi, I'm sorry. I can not agree on that. ESC is a good way to abort the delete command (as well as canceling other commands). Why should this one switch off the "Calc Geo" one? Can you create an AVI/WMV (what ever format video) showing it?

Are you switching off the calc geo at one point in time.. before / after starting the delete?

There's no need to stop delete command using the OK-button (green check mark).
Old 04-21-2009, 05:49 AM

Wolfgang, you are asking a great deal from me to make any short video. I know CAD, but not multi-media.

Nope, not at all touching the Calc Geo before or after or during the 2D erase.

Co-Create 2007 (15.50G)
ANSYS Workbench 14
SolidWorks 2011
PADS 2000
Applicon Bravo
Autotrol
CADAM
Pro/E
Old 04-21-2009, 11:28 AM

Smile Re: Geometry disappears randomly in views

Quote:
Wolfgang, you are asking a great deal from me to make any short video. I know CAD, but not multi-media.
Just wanted to test your skills... kidding

Getting Started with Screen Capture Using Windows Media Encode - May be you want to give it a try. I still think that there's something in the middle which does check off 'Calc Geo'.

BTW: is that 'Calc Geo' check box really checked off or is it on, but the calculated geo not visible in the viewport (= UI setting and VP behavior are out of sync).

Have you tried tracing ?
Have you tried naked OSD ?
Old 04-23-2009, 05:04 AM

Wink Re: Geometry disappears randomly in views

Found another interesting tid-bit.

Windows refresh key is F5. Most if not all Windows programs use that as the refresh/redraw. UGNX, SolidWorks, and plenty of other CAD systems have this F5 as the refresh/redraw as a short cut key too.

Guess what, F5 is the command in Co-Create to turn off "Calc Geo." At the same time pressing F5 a second time makes Calc Geo reappear. It's a doodad toggle key.

I've gone ahead to repeat the problem without touching the F5 key. The Calc Geo still gets unchecked while zoomed in, doing a 2D erase and using the ESC key. When zooming out the geometry is no longer displayed in all views. There must be something in the programing doing this. At this point, it's rather moot now. I have the fix/work around. I know the problem, and can get out of it.

Co-Create 2007 (15.50G)
ANSYS Workbench 14
SolidWorks 2011
PADS 2000
Applicon Bravo
Autotrol
CADAM
Pro/E
Old 04-23-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I've gone ahead to repeat the problem without touching the F5 key. The Calc Geo still gets unchecked while zoomed in, doing a 2D erase and using the ESC key. ....There must be something in the programing doing this....
There must be something in *your* customization doing this. Have you tried to reduce your customization? How do you zoom in.? Did you try the trace command? For me it looks like you did not try any of these.

Go to the chapter "Customize the interface" in online help. There it's described how to get an overview on CURRENT keyboard abbreviations. "List All" . There's also a PDF around which is matching in size to a standard PC keyboard. Print it and use it.

Tags
annotation, disappear, disappearing, disappears, geometry