CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Drafting

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2003, 11:55 AM

EDIT_MACRO Cl_linbi_icon

I don't have a manual for icons such as the code that appears when executing the command in the title. I would like to create and edit these icons. Where can I find a description for this graphic macro notation?
Old 01-05-2004, 08:41 AM
Administrator

The only documentation I have found about creating icon buttons in the classic UI is the Help on the MENU command (go to Help, Contents). However, it does not help much.
Code:
If the first character of the display_text has an ordinal value of
255, then the display_text is not displayed literally, but it is 
interpreted as a graphic menu icon command string. The format of 
such a graphic menu icon command string is: 

,<----------------------------------------+<------------------------,
   |                                         ^                         ^
   |                                         |                         |
   v                                         v                         |
-->+-->|move opcode|-->|x_move|-->|y_move|-->+-->|x_draw|-->|y_draw|-->+-->

move opcode:                     character with ordinal value 255.
x_move, y_move, x_draw, y_draw:  characters with ordinal values of 0...254.
Here is an example from the old HP customizations to ME10 which creates an icon with a horizontal and vertical line. The macro name is then used in a MENU command to define the icon button.
Code:
DEFINE Cl_hor_ver_icon
'ÿ!'#Z'#'#Z'ÿ'#M#Y#O#Y'ÿ'#S#Y#U#Y'\
ÿ'#Y#Y#[#Y'ÿ'#_#Y'%'#Y'ÿ)'#Y'+'#Y'ÿ/'#Y'1'#Y'ÿ5'#Y'7'#Y'\
ÿ!'#X'#'#X'ÿ"("&ÿ""" ÿ"'#['"'#V'ÿ"'#R'"'#P'ÿ"'#L'"'#J
END_DEFINE
Pretty ugly. I don't know who defined this macro or how they did it. When I asked some of the people involved in the original HP customizations about this topic, they said that they thought someone had written a program to create these icon strings, but no one could remember what happened to it.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:52 PM

DEFINE Cl_hor_ver_icon

That's interesting. Actually it is the Cl_hor_ver_icon macro
that I was trying to edit from one of the other ones in my macro
set. The amazing part is that I almost figured out the code in
the process and came up with the following:

DEFINE Cl_hor_ver_icon
"ÿ "#X" "#X"ÿ"#_#W"!"#W"ÿ"#K#V#M#V"ÿ"#Q#V#S#V"\
ÿ"#W#V#Y#V"ÿ"#]#V"#"#V"ÿ'"#V")"#V"ÿ-"#V"/"#V"ÿ3"#V"5"#V"\
ÿ"#_#U"!"#U"ÿ "#T" "#T"ÿ"#^"%"#_"%ÿ"#^"$"#_"$ÿ"#^"#"#_"#\
ÿ"#^#_#_#_"ÿ"#^#^#_#^"ÿ"#^#]#_#]"ÿ"#^#Z#_#Z"ÿ"#^#Y#_#Y"\
ÿ"#]#X#_#X"ÿ"#\#W" "#W"ÿ"#]#V#_#V"ÿ"#^#U#_#U"ÿ"#^#T#_#T"\
ÿ"#^#P#_#P"ÿ"#^#O#_#O"ÿ"#^#N#_#N"ÿ"#^#J#_#J"ÿ"#^#I#_#I"\
ÿ"#^#H#_#H
END_DEFINE

whereas the one you offered:

DEFINE Cl_hor_ver_icon
'ÿ!'#Z'#'#Z'ÿ'#M#Y#O#Y'ÿ'#S#Y#U#Y'\ ÿ'#Y#Y#[#Y'\
ÿ'#_#Y'%'#Y'ÿ)'#Y'+'#Y'ÿ/'#Y'1'#Y'ÿ5'#Y'7'#Y'\ ÿ!'#X'#'#X'\
ÿ"("&ÿ""" ÿ"'#['"'#V'ÿ"'#R'"'#P'ÿ"'#L'"'#J
END_DEFINE

draws the same icon but screws up at the end by putting a streak across the whole picture. I can't apply any of what I thought I discovered about the construct to this one though.
It certainly is more terse.

I can't imagine what happened to the documentation for drawing such icons and I find the manuals that I have on CD hopelessly cryptic, never showing an example of what the jargon means as in the flow diagram you included. As good as ME-10 is, the manuals are miserable in my estimation.

The lack of help I can get on ME-10 problems is not a good selling point for the product. I spent much time pursuing why I cannot store CompressMI files on my Win XP system with no suggestions
on why or how this can occur. I suspect it was caused by one of the MS updates that came along that redefined how long a temp filename can be because on closer inspection, there seems to be an illegal semicolon in the filename before it bombs out. I have sent diagnostic protocols of the failed STORE process and eceived no help.

Back in the days when ME-10 was an HP product from Boeblingen, I got great service directly from there. I get the feeling this is like a Bush privatization ploy, a patriot act.

Jobst Brandt
Old 01-05-2004, 01:43 PM

Lightbulb Icon Creation Macro

Hello John and Jobst,

John I think I have a copy of the very macro you mentioned. I will need to dig into my archives and find it and make sure it works with the Windows OS. I believe it was originally a HP-UX ME10 macro. I am currently traveling overseas and will get to it as soon as I can.

I will let you know when I find it.

Cheers
Thom
Old 01-06-2004, 09:06 AM
Administrator

If you want to create your own icons, you might also want to consider using the Mixed UI. You can easily create custom icons for Windows type toolbars using the standard Paint accessory, or any bitmap editor. The Drafting icons for the Windows UI toolbars are just 16x16 bitmap files, but you can also use larger bitmap sizes if desired. As a bonus you can use multiple colors.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:45 AM

Mixed UI sounds good but I am not aware of the method to do this or I would not have asked in the first plave. Can you give me any pointers on how to get started using this facility. As far as I know, I am running Old UI.

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:03 PM

Lightbulb Mixed UI

Hello Jobst,

The Mixed UI can be started from the CoCreate Menu in the Programs Menu.

However the Mixed UI was only initiated and supported within ME10 version 10.xx, 11.xx and now into version 12.xx.

There was a way to get similar results in ME10 version 9.xx. It was called the Hybrid UI, and it took a little work to get going and is of course unsupported.

1st: Startup Me10 in the Windows UI mode.

2nd: Move the mouse cursor onto one of the side menus and click the right button this will open a check box menu. This will be the menus and toolbars. click off the following menus boxes.

Draw
Frequent Commands
Quick View
Select - Construct

After closing those menus exit Me10.

3rd: Add the following lines of code to your customize.m file.

startup_menus

DEFINE reset_viewport_1
inq_env 10
let a (inq 102)
inq_menu 'Sm_create_1'
let b (inq 103)
change_viewport_size (pnt_xy 0 0) (pnt_xy (x_of b) (y_of a))
END_DEFINE

reset_viewport_1

Save the file and restart ME10 Windows UI. Once ME10 opens again you will see the Classic menus inbedded into the area of the screen that the menus you turned off were.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Thom
Old 01-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jobst Brandt
Mixed UI sounds good but I am not aware of the method to do this or I would not have asked in the first plave. Can you give me any pointers on how to get started using this facility. As far as I know, I am running Old UI.
Sorry, I assumed you were running a recent version under Windows and the Mixed UI could be started from a Start menu button as Thom indicated. If you are running under HP-UX then you cannot run the Mixed UI. If you are running under Windows, then see Thom's reply for tips on starting the Mixed UI.

If you try the Mixed UI but don't like the bright orange/green/yellow menu buttons (and I don't know anyone who does ), then place the following command in one of your startup files to get the more traditional motif colors and shading.

Wui_ccc OFF
Old 01-07-2004, 02:32 PM

I am running on v9.0 MS Windows with a large set of macros that we use extensively. I keep getting the advice to load a later version while being told that most of my macros will not work. The claim is that some of these are now standard features in v12.x and so on, but no one has demonstrated that this is so.

From recent experience, I am leery of these promises, considering the lack of support we have.

Some users have a graphics tablet, some don't, so the macros I have must test who's there before loading.

I am amazed at the lack of manuals that cover this. I looked in the "writing macros" manual on CD and found no help.

"Writing Macros with ME10 Dynamic Drafting "
Old 01-08-2004, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jobst Brandt
I am running on v9.0 MS Windows with a large set of macros that we use extensively. I keep getting the advice to load a later version while being told that most of my macros will not work. The claim is that some of these are now standard features in v12.x and so on, but no one has demonstrated that this is so.
You should be able to install a newer version of Drafting and test it with your macros without messing up version 9. We've never had any problems or conflicts running multiple versions on the same PC. As we moved from 9 to 10 to 11 to 12, we have seen very few problems with the HP macros working in newer versions, and they are pretty extensive.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:21 PM

Well now I see what was meant by my macros won't work on ME10v11 or later. I spent many hours putting HPMS macros in files that get loaded from my macro file on startup. I still cannot get the HPMS Calculator to appear and Screen Dump menu to show up on PLOT3 main menu although PLOT1 and 2 work. I also
could not get the X11 and HP color menus to show up although RGB and HSL work now.

This is a bitch! Besides, I can't seem to find the startup file that tells ME10 from where to load CUSTOM.MAC. The DELETE_MACRO
command is a disservice to someone who is trying to see where things came from. Those macros having been deleted after startup.

If I can get this to work I'll load ME10v12 and try it. I'll appreciate any assistance I can get on how to make this work at least as well as my v9.0 because 9.0 has some glaring bugs, such as the DXF files it produces of hatch and drawings in scales other then 1:1. We have gotten parts that were twice as large as desired because they were 2:1 befoer going to DXF.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Administrator

None of the screen dump commands will work in version 11 or higher. The screen dump functions have been replaced by new features to print/save the drawing to bitmap files. You will need to remove all references to screen dump commands from your macro files to make them load correctly in newer versions.

Standard Drafting will load a file named "customize.m" as the last step. The file extension for macro files has been changed from .mac to .m, I don't remember in which version this changed. The command which loads this file is at the end of the "startup.m" file under the main Drafting folder. The first file by this name found in the standard seach path will be loaded.

You probably won't have any better luck with version 12 since the above changes are still there.