CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Drafting

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 04:24 AM

Question Moving MSU in LAN, but MSU not detected by Licensing Server

Hi,
for one of our customer which have a CoCreate Drafting 17.0 with a Licensing server with MSU, we are trying to move the MSU device in LAN with a serial-to-lan converter by Lantronix (details here).

The COM port has been correctly mapped to the OS where the CoCreate License Server 17.0 is installed, but the MEI seems not to detect the MSU.
Do you have any clue? No-one never tried to do this to avoid the constraint of the serial port?

Do you know how the MEI scan for serial ports to check for the MSU device? Actually we've put the MSU in a virtual COM10 port, maybe this is too high value and the MEI doesn't scan for it?

Do you know correct baud rate, parity, data bits, flow control that the MSU device use to correctly exchange data with MEI? In their FAQ it's written:

Q. Do I need to define COM settings for the MSU device, for example, baud rate, parity, data bits?
A. No. MEls will set up the port correctly.

but I do have to set them correctly in the Lantronix device to exchange data with MSU.

Thanks for inputs
Old 03-23-2011, 06:48 AM

Re: Moving MSU in LAN, but MSU not detected by Licensing Server

Why would you want to do that? There are better options if you want to have a portable hardware ID that doesn't use a serial connection. Any USB based networking adapter should have a valid hardware ID.

Sport
Old 03-23-2011, 07:19 AM

Any USB device will still be tied to a single host and I need it to be not tied to a single server because licensing server is on a virtual machina which is host indipendent for vmotion and ha features to work
Old 03-23-2011, 07:41 AM

Wow. Good luck with that. I have not had much luck with VM's and the license server. Did Lantronix have any solutions as to why this doesn't work?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:19 AM

Actually tue licensing server is already on a VM, accessing directly the serial port of the host in which the VM is running and so the MSU and everthing is working correctly. Obviously if the host fails the MSU won't be' accessibile anymore even if VM restarts succesfully on another host. That's why we need to rely on the lantronix device. Lantronix support told me firstly to check correct baud rate, parity, data bits, etc because license server sets it automatically but Lantronix device needs to be setup correctly with these parameters to work. They also suggested us to check if the latency introduced by LAN could influence the licenze server.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:45 AM

That would be a question that CoCreate would probably have to answer. Have you contacted support to see what they think? I know they don't like VM's but it would be nice to know the answer.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:55 AM

well, from what I see from their website (CoCreate) to raise a support request I need to register, and to register I need:

1. Customer Number
  2. Any one of the following
    • Service Contract Number (SCN)
    • Sales Order Number (SON)
    • Site Number
This information can be found in the "Help/About" menu of your software.

but I cannot find none of them in the Help/About :-\