CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > General > Web Site and Forum Info

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2002, 12:24 PM

Question Old 'forums'?

Are the old forums being ported over to the new one. I'm hoping we're not loosing all that history and data.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:31 PM

Nevermind I just found the Archives off the main page. Still too bad they can't be integrated into the new forums. Seems some talented OSM programmer could devise a conversion and import.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:33 PM

Nevermind the nevermind, I just noticed the Archives seem to be having some kind of error. I assume it's in process, though.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Bob is really busy right now, but I think he plans to bring the old newsgroup archives over in some form. I agree it would be nice to have them imported into this forum, but that would require more programming skill than I have. Given the low volume on the old newsgroups, it might be easier to just cut and paste anything that is still relevant. Maybe we could get some volunteers to do this.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:09 PM

I could probably work on the cut and paste deal, IF there wasn't going to be some mass update come along later obsoleting the work that was done.

I also may be able to work on the mass-update with a little guidance of the required formatting.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:19 AM

old forums

Anyone looking for the old usergroup forums might be succesful with the following link:

Newsgroup Archive

Bob
Old 10-29-2002, 10:38 PM

Unfortunatly the Enhancement Request Link doesn't work in the above link.
Old 11-09-2002, 08:35 AM

Unfortunatly the Webarchiv (Bob posted the URL) stops at 2001.04.27 22:48:58. So not anzy posting newer than april 2001 can not be found over there. That's a little bit tooo old..

http://web.archive.org/web/20010427224858/www.cocreateusers.org/scripts/soliddesigner/main.idc

Just for your info..

regards Wolfgang
Old 11-22-2002, 10:33 AM

While I can see the initial archive pages at web.archive.org, drilling down to look at a post and its replies seems to rely on an SQL database that is not responding.

From the ME10 News Group, article:
"Key Definition Output" from:Travis Pound 2001-08-29 09:45:41 Replies:2

AT:
http://web.archive.org/web/20021122112301/http://www.cocreateusers.org/scripts/me10/reply.idc?ID=384

IE & Moxzilla displays:
Datasource: cocreatebbs
Template: reply.htx
SQLStatement: SELECT *
+FROM me10replyqry
+WHERE GeneralID=%ID%;

Is this the current expected results? If not, any suggestions?

Thank you,

Kirk
Old 11-24-2002, 11:30 PM

kmac, I get the same results for the old SolidDesigner forum. Instead of the real text, I see SQL gobbledigook only. And as Wolfgang pointed out, the archives only contain messages up until April 2001. This is most just the wrong way around, I guess, since the most recent posts are most likely to be relevant even today.

Is there something the community could do to help bringing the archive up again?

Claus
Old 11-25-2002, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Hopefully Bob can provide us with an update on this issue.

The last I heard he was trying to get the SQL database for the old Newsgroup application from the old web hosting service. Unfortunately when he moved the CAUG web site to zeonhost, neither of us realized that the Newsgroup application was using a SQL database which was not stored under the main web site folder. So when Bob moved the web files, the Newsgroup control files came over, but not the database they were accessing.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:02 PM

I did get the .MDB database files from the old site. I put them on our host but that's as far as I got. I could use some help getting this working since "I'm an engineer, not a DBA" (McCoy). Greg Matelich volunteered to do some work on it and I know John is always willing to help.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:17 PM

Unfortunately, my supply of database clueons is almost zero, or else I certainly would have volunteered. Maybe it'd be worth asking round in the "Manager" and "System Administration" discussion forums, hoping that database admins there can help us proceed.

Claus
Old 02-05-2003, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Old Newsgroups Converted Into New Forums

If you scroll down the Home page, you will see that the old newsgroups from the former web site have been converted into vBulletin forums. These are locked so you cannot add new threads or posts, but you can view and search them the same as any forum on this site.

Three people were involved in this effort, but most of the credit goes to Greg Matelich (user gmatelich) who volunteered to figure out how to convert the old database files into a vBulletin compatible format. I don't know how he did it, but he did a great job. Rob Zajeski recovered the database files from the old web service provider and supplied them to Greg. I uploaded the converted database file to this web server and imported it into our current vBulletin installation.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:35 PM

Way cool! Thanks to everybody involved!

However, I get the sinking feeling that something *might* be wrong. For example, look at the thread at

http://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1025

The thread title is "SolidDesigner to ME10 setup" but the question really is about raytracing, and the reply doesn't fit to the original question.

Another example:
http://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1024

The thread is titled "Annotation Module", but the question is about a graphics card.

Claus

Last edited by clausb; 02-05-2003 at 10:58 PM.