View Single Post
Old 12-13-2002, 06:25 AM

Graphics benchmark for OneSpace Designer Modeling

Hi all,

inspired by the recent discussions on graphics card selection and benchmarking, I have uploaded the current version of our "viewbench" graphics benchmark to ftp://ftp.cocreate.com/sdtestpackage/viewbench/.

This version is meant to be used with the latest release code on the Windows platforms. I split the package into two parts for easier updates:
  • viewbench_code.zip - This contains the benchmark code.
  • viewbench_models.zip - Contains the models used for benchmarking.
The code is much smaller than the models, but changes more often.

This benchmark has served us well for several year, but is slowly running out of steam now that graphics cards have become so fast. Nevertheless, the results are still meaningful if interpreted correctly, and there seems to be considerable interest in such a benchmark.

By adding larger test models, we can prolong the lifecycle of the benchmark. This is, of course, the tricky part. I'm always looking for models which meet the following requirements:
  • Typical customer models
  • Meaningful size (shouldn't spin faster than 20 frames/second on recent graphics hardware)
  • Requires less than 200 MB of memory after loading
  • Freely distributable
Instructions:
  • Download the two ZIP files
  • Unpack them into the same directory
  • Start OSDM
  • Change into the viewbench directory
  • (load "viewbench")
  • (viewbench)
The benchmark produces two output files: A result file which summarizes the frame rates, and a summary of the machine configuration. As suggested by John previously, if everybody posts their results publicly somewhere here on the cocreateusers web site, we could build a performance database which helps users to decide on hardware upgrades.

Enjoy,

Claus

Last edited by clausb; 12-26-2002 at 01:56 PM.