CoCreate User Forum

CoCreate User Forum (https://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/index.php)
-   System Administration (https://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Windows 11 / annotation freeze (https://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8361)

teoadams 06-01-2022 05:17 AM

Windows 11 / annotation freeze

No problem running direct modeling 19 and 20 under windows 11 on HP XW9400 32GB RAM / NVIDIA QUADRO 600 (windows seven upgraded to windows 10 upgraded to windows 11).

Suddendly yesterday (none system update only daily virus definition) annotation stopped working: on 3d modeling side everything is normal but when I activate the annotation module the software freezes. This occurs in Direct Modeling 19 and 20 and in Direct Access 19 and 20 while Direct Drafting (me10) has no problem.

I already tried to change video card (RADEON HD6570 normally working on my other XW9400 with windows 10) and the problem is the same.

It seems like something has changed in windows graphics management.... any suggestion?

Thanks

ludw 06-08-2022 08:40 AM

Re: Windows 11 / annotation freeze

CED 20.5 supports Windows 11 as per PTC.

teoadams 06-09-2022 05:39 AM

Thanks for answer, but I need to solve for 19 and 20

Wolfgang 06-24-2022 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teoadams (Post 26269)
Suddenly yesterday

Well: something changed on your system. Full Stop.

you are using 4 slightly different programs installations. All four you did not change. And all four are not working any more... IMHO this indicates your system changed.

if you add the verbose parameter "-v" to your shortcuts to start Modeling (or adjust you batch) ... what's the last line displayed when it hangs..
My assumption:
Code:

Initializing viewtool_name
Finished initializing viewtool_name
Initializing docuvpar
Finished initializing docuvpar
Initializing docuvppe
Finished initializing docuvppe
Initializing am_presel_util
Finished initializing am_presel_util

;; and here it hangs... ?

open a DOS shell and call the following command (adapt the path!)
Code:

cd "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo Elements\Direct Modeling xxxxxxx\Annotation\win"

"C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo Elements\Direct Modeling xxxxxxx\Annotation\binx64\annotator.exe"

Normally a full screen Me10 viewport + prompt line + input line should appear. Since there is no license "evaluation" will be displayed .. It this still working?

last but not least: there are some environment variables around to disable modeling / Annotation to use the 'high sophisticated" graphic drivers. give those a chance as well.

teoadams 06-26-2022 11:10 PM

Hi Wolfgang, as first thanks for all suggestions.

I first tried OSM 19.0 and 3d access 19 with -v parameter and when launching the annotation module they both stop at

initializing plot_sett

Now I'll try to discover what it means..... meanwhile any suggestion could be helpfully.

Wolfgang 06-28-2022 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teoadams (Post 26276)
.... when launching the annotation module they both stop at

initializing plot_sett

Good finding. During startup all the plot settings / printers are "investigated" . Some Drafting versions (and so annotator.exe as well) do have problems with printers/plotters not existing any more.

Check all your defined printers on that system. May be (good chance!) your IT department removed one network printer and now that makes a problem.

Best: remove one by one and start Annotation after each one. .. well start with those which seemed to offline / disconnected.

You can also try to rename all files named '*plot*.lsp' in the directory %APPDATA\PTC\Creo Elements Direct Modeling xyz\x.y\ANNOTATION\Default_Settings (or may be rename the directory for a quick check)

teoadams 07-08-2022 05:11 AM

So this was the final solution: I had to remove a discontinued printer that suddendly has begun to cause the error.

So it seems there is nothing due to windows 11 itself.

Thanks