CoCreate User Forum

CoCreate User Forum (https://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enhancement Requests (https://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   drawing a non-orthogonal rectangle on a WP (https://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7215)

jkramer 04-27-2009 06:28 AM

drawing a non-orthogonal rectangle on a WP

Why is it only possible to draw a rectangle in the same direction as the Workplane origin?
Would be nice that if you press ALT (for example) before you start drawing a rectangle, that you could pick your own drawing direction.

regards,
Jaap

Wolfgang 04-27-2009 09:00 AM

Re: drawing a non-orthogonal rectangle on a WP

May be I'm too stupid.. but I hope I'm not! ;)

A rectangle is orthogonal.. meaning the adjacent lines are perpendicular. A a non-orthogonal rectangle would have angles <> 90 degree.. So it would not be a rectangle any more.

I assume you would like to draw a parallelogram, or may be an isosceles trapezoid. But first can not be defined by two points. You need 3 points. So pressing ALT is not an option.

If you like to draw a parallelogram, draw a rectangle and stretch one of the lines (select complete line to get BOTH ends).

tom kirkman 04-27-2009 09:32 AM

Using the rectangle command, the horizontal line of the rectangle is on the U axis, the veritcal lines are on the V axis. The angles are 90°.

If the recangle could be drawing with the horizontal at 3° and the vertical at 93°, you would have what is being discussed, the angles are still 90°.

Tom

Wolfgang 04-27-2009 09:46 AM

Okay.. I got it. Thanks. I have been thinking in different direction.

So, pressing ALT + 3 points would create a *rotated* rectangle.

But using 2D-copilot and selecting 4 points would also create a rotated rectangle (by using copilots perpendicular - parallel - snapping functionality). Is it useful to have a new command for non-orthogonal rectangles? It's one click more I admit.

pkehoe 09-03-2009 04:07 PM

Drawing a rectangle requires 2 points (opposite corners), but is limited to being parallel to the U and V axes. The Copilot can be used, but it requires picking all four points; and it can be challenging if the angle with respect to the U axes is unknown or not "nice". You can get around that by first creating a construction line which is along one of the edges of the rectangle.

Ideally, I'd like to see a dialog for the rectangle command that allowed for a couple of options: direction, length and width. You could enter the two opposite points that you can do now-with the direction set to the U-axis. Or, you could enter a new direction or angle and those two points-the rectangle would then be created, but rotated (with respect to the U-axis). Or, you could enter one corner plus a length and width-and you would still have the option to set a direction. That could be useful!