PDA

View Full Version : Using MI-file as a sketch for modeling

Alexander
11-06-2002, 06:30 AM
It does seem that I can't import a MI-file to use as a sketch in OSDM 11.00:mad: does someone have an answer.

Stacy,Tim,
I'm trying to load the sketch on a workplane in Modeling, and I'm getting the following Message:
'The file "..." failed to load. This file does not contain a valid drawing'.
I've opened the file in Dynamic Drafting and saved it again as an MI-file. That does not make a difference.
My licence does not allow me to use Dynamic Drafting and Modeling at the same time.

fox-myers
11-06-2002, 08:02 AM
Are you trying to import the data from the MI file onto a workplane or into Annotator as a sketch? Either way this should work. What errors are you getting when you try to bring in the MI file?

Tim Cole
11-06-2002, 08:23 AM
Alexander are you attempting to use the copy/paste function from ME10 WUI to SD?

fox-myers
11-07-2002, 09:46 AM
Alexander,

What version of Dynamic Drafting are you using? I'm able to create an MI file in Drafting 11.6 and bring it into OSDModeling 11.6 without issue. Can Annotator open your MI file using the Import 2D file type? If so you could resave the file from Annotator and load it into OSDM. Or even easier, from Annotator copy the drawing to the clipboard (CRTL + C then box select the elements to copy). Then switch over to Modeling and paste the data onto the active workplane. I hope one of these suggestions helps!

FYI- It's better if you post a reply with new information instead of editting your original post. That way other forum users will easily find your comments in the new post search and anyone subscribed to the thread will be emailed that there is a new post. As a bonus you also increase the number of posts you have made and get closer to losing new member status. :)

Tim Cole
11-07-2002, 10:43 AM
Alexander,

There are two ways of this error happening that I know of.

1) When you copy in ME10 you have to go to edit/copy. Select what you want. It should highlight in yellow. Then hit copy again. You might see the (blue) save bar across the bottom of your screen in ME10 (drafting). This will put the image in your buffer. you can then go to OSD. In OSD use the edit/paste while in a active workplane. I tried it. It worked for me I have version 11.0 of OSD & ME10

2) The other method is a bug with ME10 & OSD version 11.0.
it has to do with the LZ clip function compatibilty between ME10 & OSD. To fix it there are two steps.

a) on your desktop right click over the ME10 icon. Go to properties. under target. AFTER the existing text type -lzwclip.
hit OK

b) go to your ME10.ini file at the bottom add the line
[ME10 MISC] MELZWCLIP=1

I hope these help your copy problem.

I'm curious why you can't run OSD and ME10 at the same time?

Tim Cole

Wolfgang
11-09-2002, 09:04 AM
Hi Alexander,

it looks like you are trying to load the MI file into the workplane by drag'n drop, right? And at the same time Annotation is active, too?

Well, as soon as AM is active an *.MI file is used for import MI (to Annotation), by the universal load approach which is invoked by drag'n drop. Then AM analyse the MI data and 'guess' ;) what it is (Therefor you see the message as you posted)

Look to the load/save list.. MI is used several time as extension..

I you open the MI file in OSDModeling via open file (CTRL-O) will it then be loaded into the workplane..

Alexander
11-14-2002, 02:30 AM
Thank you people for al the help ,perhaps it is whise for me to take a course in OSDM. But than again with a little help from all you peolpe, we 'll also fix it> :D