PDA

View Full Version : 3D Curve visibility in Annotation

gday
03-04-2010, 11:33 AM
I do a lot of exploded views, and I often need to create lines showing the explosion path. It would be easy to generate these lines as a 3D curve, but I cannot get the 3D curves to display in annotation. This would be a very useful feature.

I apologize if this has been requested elsewhere, but I was unable to find it.

BMaverick
03-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Annotation is a 2D package.

You will need to simulate the 3D curves to look 3D (2-1/2D) in Annotation. This like the old CADAM CAD system of long ago. Spines work well for this.

Have you tried making 3D curves in Modeling and having that to show up in Annotation if the method is easier?

gday
03-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Yes. I've spent a lot of time simulating the lines in Annotation. I have also generated 3d splines in Modeling, but Annotation does not display them, even though the part names appear in the view contents list (with a "No" under the "Displayed" column). Hence my request to make it possible to display them in Annotation. Sorry I didn't state the request very clearly.

John Scheffel
03-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Kind of a kludge, but you could create very thin cylinders in 3D modeling instead of using 3D curves. In Annotation they would look like lines.

BMaverick
03-12-2010, 04:20 AM
Kind of a kludge, but you could create very thin cylinders in 3D modeling instead of using 3D curves. In Annotation they would look like lines.

That would work for limited things, but circular curve simulation is harder. Also, if the surves need to be fonted as centerlines, the cylinders would not represent them well enough.

This is strange why 3D curves will not show up in Annotation. Every other CAD system I've worked on would display points, curves, datum planes, axis, and the 3D model back into their drafting package. You could no-show them or hide them by default configuration or user preferences. It's not always a good thing to display the datum planes in drafting. ;)