PDA

View Full Version : Part change and suggested file structure

K3Ellkabong
11-02-2009, 09:52 AM
I have been using CC PE for about 6 months now, and have an ok understanding of how modeling works. I tend to design multiple parts (starting from scratch) in an assembly fashion - meaning, I use the dimension of one part to determine the positioning and dimensions of other parts. I would then save each part as a package (.pk2). Now, during the annotation phase of an assembly, I may notice that one or more parts need to be altered (change a dimension or add material). Now this new file is saved as a bundle (.bd2). Any changes to the parts in this file are not reflected on the original .pk2 file. Even if I create an annotation for just one part and save as bundle - any changes in the bundle file are not reflected in the original .pk2.

I am not suggesting this is a problem with CoCreate, I know it is just my understanding of how CoCreate works. How should I organize my parts/assemblies/drawings so that if I change a part's shape, it will automatically be saved in the original? To be more explicit - I save the individual parts (.pk2) so that I can use them in other assemblies, and save assemblies as my finished work (.pk2). Or should I just forego the whole .pk2 and save every part and assembly as a bundle (.bd2)?

Same concept - it sorta confuses me when I 'load' a .pk2 file, do some changes, and during the save, CoCreate asks me the file name. I would assume that CoCreate should know the original file information and save it there. I have accidentally overwritten other parts in the past because of this. Also, when I save the file, the disk icon next to the part does not go away, suggesting that the changes have not been saved.

Please let me know if you need more information from me.

Thanks.

BMaverick
11-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Working in the regular full version of CC, I avoid using PKG and BDL files since the filing has gotten plenty of us into trouble.

CC is one of the strangest CAD systems I've ever come across with it's file interface and structure methods. And no two customers who use the product that saves into a computer network file system are the same.

I'm at a loss to give you anything more than what you already know about the file saving and the ability to maintain changes with the original part and have an original drawing across all of the assembly files.

Mike Swartz
11-03-2009, 04:23 AM
There are limitations in PE when it comes to storing These limitations are there on purpose. CoCreate Modeling Personal Edition is a free trial version which is designed to show you the power of Explicit Modeling. It was never intended to be your CAD system of choice. That is also why there are no provisions for exporting your data to other systems.

One of the limitations of a bundle file, is that it will only store the current drawing as part of the bundle. So, if you want to keep all your parts, and drawings of all your parts current, you will need to always store your entire assembly as a bundle. If you need separate drawings of each individual part in your assembly, you will need to add additional sheets to that one drawing. You can use the manage parts function to remove the parts you do not want to see in each of these individual sheets.

BMaverick
11-03-2009, 05:00 AM
K3Ellkabong,

If you are looking for a full 2D/3D and solid modeling CAD package to do the general tasks and are on a limited budget, maybe the $99 Alibre is an option. There is no licenses to purchase and it never expires.

Alibre Design is similar to SolidWorks, Inventor and Pro/E on Windows.

Alibre is not placing any restrictions whatsoever on the $99 priced Alibre Design. You will get the FULL version to own forever. No gimmicks or usage restriction, no time limits of the software to expire, no crippled features, no save restrictions, no watermarks, ... in other words NO restrictions of any kind period. Even the data translators are all there for the normal package. Nothing is stripped out.

This pricing is good from August 2009 till the end of the year.

In this very tight economy, small startups need something to get a leg up.