PDA

View Full Version : Inverted Normals

thegroover
04-18-2009, 01:09 PM
I've been trying to send an stl. file from PE to a rapid prototype firm , and they say they can't accept it because it has inverted normals . They say most software has simple ways to rectify this but I can't find any reference in PE menus. The part checker comes up with no faults , and the part is in positive space ( or at least it's stopped telling me it's in negative space and needs moving). Any advice on this?
Thanks.

clausb
04-19-2009, 02:15 AM
Can you post the STL file here so that we can have a look?

thegroover
04-19-2009, 01:57 PM
I've posted a file to the clausbrod site via the Twiki , in File Handling . I hope that was right , it was too big to upload to this forum. Thanks for looking.

clausb
04-20-2009, 12:43 AM
I've posted a file to the clausbrod site via the Twiki , in File Handling

Quite clever 8-)

I just had a quick look at the file; indeed, there may be something wrong with the STL data. Can you send me the model file as well for closer analysis? (Details via PM.)

Thanks,

Claus

thegroover
05-21-2009, 05:44 AM
Claus , sorry I never replied to your post , I got distracted by other things ,and then the people who were doing the modelling (Shapeways) emailed me saying they had sorted it out themselves . I found an stl viewer that showed if inverted normals were there (Minimagics) and it said the part was fine and there were none.So , I don't know what that's about ,, but I'm still getting the warning of parts being in negative space and though I've fixed it once I'm not sure how I did it and can't seem to repeat the operation -any help much appreciated.
Regards
Oli

clausb
05-21-2009, 08:23 AM
but I'm still getting the warning of parts being in negative space and though I've fixed it once I'm not sure how I did it and can't seem to repeat the operation
Oli

Well, seems like Mike already helped out at http://cocreateusers.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7245 . As he said, these days you can probably ignore this warning most of the time, as receiving machines shouldn't have troubles with negative coordinates anymore.