PDA

View Full Version : Mutable 3D annotation - bug

Tom von Alten
10-31-2002, 11:49 AM
I had a bit of surprise today, pulling up a part I'd designed a little while ago (with SDv9.01E on NT4). The dimensions and tolerances seemed really confused. After attempting to edit them to make sense, I realized that I'd designed the part in mm, and pulled it up with units set to inches.

Maybe this is old news, but it sure seems to me there should be some way to tag an annotated body so that units setting doesn't render tolerance information unintelligible.

The attached image shows the same part with only the session units changed. The size and the position tolerance for the
holes are both damaged by changing to inch units.

marcvonams
11-01-2002, 12:26 PM
without duplicating your situation, i'm guessing your numbers haven't been "damaged", but they are victimized by rounding error. You can fix that by changing the decimal precision. I hope that does what you want, otherwise you're right, there is no "tag"

Tom von Alten
11-01-2002, 12:54 PM
Yes, it's exactly rounding error that is the problem. There needs to be some intelligence in the code, so that 0.1 mm (for example) does not get rounded to 0.00" and then have right-surpressed zeroes truncated so that a tolerance of "0" is displayed.

Failing that, everyone using 3D Annotation for communication of critical information needs to know that the communication may utterly fail depending on the configuration of the recipient's system.