PDA

View Full Version : Workplane viewing direction

richard800
09-09-2008, 11:34 PM
When you view something you can look towards the front, top or side.

When you look at the default Workplane (W1) you are of course looking perpendicular to the plane, but are you suppossed to be looking in a particular direction, i.e. front, top or side of an object?

Gary Brauch
09-10-2008, 05:22 AM
When looking at the default workplane (so you can see the name in the lower left hand corner), you are looking in the -z direction of the XYZ coordinate system.

In Modeling, there is no "front, right, top". The only time this comes into play is when you create a drawing. If you don't change the "front" direction, then yes the front view will be the same as looking at the default workplane.

Something to keep in mind is that it doesn't matter though because when you make your drawing, you can change the front and up direction when creating the drawing, so it doesn't matter which direction the part is facing in Modeling.

Hope this makes sense.
Gary.

richard800
09-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Okay thanks.

I guess people do their own thing, when making constructions, or drawings. I'll probably take the default view (after all I'm loooking at a viewport) to be looking to the "front" of my designs. Because I think it is implied that looking/vie wing in the z direction is looking to the front in drawings. But I understand one can do as one pleases. Of course the actual plane that a construction is placed on is the W plane by default. Again, of course, with drawings, when looking/viewing in a certain direction, one always will see two dimensions, the x and y in this case.

I think I begin to appreciate the difference between a plane and a dimension.