PDA

View Full Version : Structure Browser Contents

richard800
09-08-2008, 07:47 AM
Total newbie to CAD.

When I close a loaded file the Viewport window dissappears. Then I think the file is no longer loaded. But the Strucrure Browser still shows Parts and Workplanes, although unticked. If I open another file it sometimes wants to reletter the Parts etc in Structure Browser.

Okay, so, when or how does a loaded file get unloaded from the program? Do I have to manually delete what is in the Structure Browser? Is that how you close a file? Thanks.

richard800
09-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Just to clarify, I always think closing on an "X" closes an opened file or the program. It appears that closing on the "X" just closes the Viewport, but that the file is still loaded in the program.

Andy Poulsen
09-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Hi,

You are correct -- clicking the "X" on the viewport only closes that viewport. All model data is still stored in the system until you actually delete the models/workplanes/etc. This is actually a very nice way to do things, as you can have multiple viewports open at once (which can provide great flexibility).

You are correct that it's different from most other non-CAD applications, but I think once you get used to it that you'll find that it works well.

You are also correct in your other assessments -- loading another file (without deleting the current data) may result in the newly loaded objects getting new names to avoid naming conflicts. The ability to allow new objects to be loaded alongside existing objects provides great flexibility so that you don't have to have all of your parts and assemblies stored in the same file (which can easily allow for part re-use).

Finally, yes, the way to get rid of model data is to delete it (a couple of ways to do this are either to right-click on it in the structure browser and click delete, or to click the "Delete 3D" button and select the object either from the structure browser or from the viewport). Note: if you want to delete all objects, click the "Delete 3D" button, then click the select button (or hit F2), and then and then select "All at Top" and click OK.

I hope this helps -- please post back if you have further questions.

Thanks!

andy

Wolfgang
09-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Don't think too much in 'files' as you do in office programs.

Load in OSD, is more like adding model(s) to your "workspace". View ports are just 'windows' to all what you have loaded or created.

You made the experience for loading, but saving it is the same: you have to specify WHERE to save *and* WHAT to save. If compared to excel you would have to specify which sheets you would like to store in addition to the excel file name itself.

loading and saving is independent from the file name(s), and viewing (viewport) is also independent from all of these. This is greatest level of flexibility. :)

-------------------------------
in addition to the delete possibilities Andy already described: there is an 'empty sheet' icon at the upper left corner: This will delete all and give you a new work plane, same situation as after you have just started modeling.

clausb
09-09-2008, 01:02 AM
Note: if you want to delete all objects, click the "Delete 3D" button, then click the select button (or hit F2), and then and then select "All at Top" and click OK.

Or just use "File/New" to start a new session (which also deletes the current model).

Claus