PDA

View Full Version : (Useful context help) e.g. for Slot

LarryP
08-17-2008, 11:07 AM
There is an icon that, when I hover over it, names itself "slot" -- just what I'd like to create!
Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find any useful help in using this tool --:mad:
The "help" tells me lots of things I can do with slots AFTER they've been created, but (so far as I can tell) nothing about how to actually create one. When I select the tool (once I have an active workplane), there is little/no clear prompting on what a user is supposed to do to use the tool.
Can anybody please post regarding:

1. How to extract the *relevant* help from the "help" system.

1.5 Why doesn't the slot command have an help *index* entry under "slot" ?

2. What does the slot tool "want" as input? a bounding box/fillet radius?
Initial/final cutter positions,
or something completely different.
It seems to want (some unspecified number of) points, but what, exactly do the points define? The bounding box of the slot?

Why doesn't this tool give a pane of selections/parameters to enter??
(whis is it unlike the interface for other commands?)

-- Larry

Mike Swartz
08-18-2008, 06:14 AM
The slot command creates a 2D profile of a slot with a full radius on each end. Like the rest of the 2D geometry commands, the status line gives you all the prompts you need. Just follow the instructions in the prompt window. For input, it is asking for the center point of the radius on each end of the slot, (which you select in the viewport) then it askes for the width of the slot. (in user units)

In actual practice, you need to have your two points already defined in the viewport, so you can select them. Otherwise, you are just picking points in space. (I usually pre-define the locations for the points I need to select with construction geometry)

The slot function is little more than a user requested customization that was added to the polyline functionality, and it does not require it's own menu.