PDA

View Full Version : Giving it a whirl

Tom von Alten
10-31-2002, 08:54 AM
vB Code - how wonderful! (What's wrong with HTML again?)

This in-browser editor is not the strongest of the genre...:(

It says images work... do they?

Tom von Alten
10-31-2002, 08:55 AM
No, images don't work, unless the "attach file" attaches it in some undisclosed location.

John Scheffel
10-31-2002, 01:59 PM
I know you probably didn't expect a reply to a test post, but there is a good reason most BB software uses some type of BB code instead of HTML. The display pages are constructed on the fly by PHP code which generates the html. If people embedded bad HTML in their posts it could really screw up the display of the pages.

The editor in the next release of vBulletin will be much better. It is more WYSIWIG. It is in beta test and should be released in a few months.

Tom von Alten
11-01-2002, 07:00 AM
Trying a reply with a better browser, Opera v6.01. Most everything works just fine, and I can tweak the style sheet size and on/off if it suits me.

The smilie and message icons don't show up in this "post reply" window, oddly, although the smilie alt-text suffices. :p

One salutory difference is that the drop-down menus and the window scrollbar don't have their colors altered and contrast spoiled. (I also don't see the color previewing - I hope "tomato" works for you... should be something reddish, I suppose?)

(Are vB tags case-sensitive? Nope. "Close Current Tag" doesn't work with this browser.)

Tom von Alten
11-01-2002, 07:06 AM
D'OH! I had images turned off, that's why images were turned off. (The colors showing in the pull-down is a different issue though.)

John Scheffel
11-01-2002, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Tom von Alten
One salutory difference is that the drop-down menus and the window scrollbar don't have their colors altered and contrast spoiled...
I think these colors are a function of the browser. Under IE 5.0 I get gray scrollbars. Under IE 5.5 they are mapping the page colors. Maybe this is an IE 5.5 "enhancement". :rolleyes: I'm not sure if this vBulletin has anything to do with this.

If you don't like the default color scheme, you might want to try some of the others. You can change it from the user cp button.

Tom von Alten
11-01-2002, 09:03 AM
If you don't like the default color scheme, you might want to try some of the others. You can change it from the user cp button.

Ah, yes, thanks for that. Turns out I like the default vB scheme better than the blue/orange one. The dark blue background matches the blue slider on the scrollbar and it reads better. (I'd still prefer that nobody mess with my scrollbars, though.)