PDA

View Full Version : Test of image upload - 2008 may 30

Wolfgang
05-31-2008, 01:52 AM
with respect to thread

after pressing the upload button in 'Manage attachments'

http://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=

shows an white empty page , there not any HTML tag in, just nothing!

Also the 'Attach Files' section in 'Additional Options' below the edit window when writing a post does not list the attachment.

I figured out that the problem exists when uploading a PNG file. Gif and JPG are working.

Wolfgang
05-31-2008, 02:13 AM
Just to let people know that the forum was upgraded to vBulletin 3.6.10 on April 28, 2008. There are no new features, the upgrade was done to get the latest security patches and bug fixes.

upgraded to vBulletin 3.6.10

might this be connected to the PNG attachment problem?? Just a wild assumption!

BTW:
haven't there be a link to list all attachments I made to this forum?

Attachments made (http://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/profile.php?do=editattachments)
the last PNG I uploaded at: 05-28-2008 09:51 PM, so this does not match to the theory of forum upgrade: :-\

wathavy
05-31-2008, 03:08 AM
Wao, how did you listed my attachment list.
Anyway they are all png, because it shows best screen shot.:)

You're right.
But something must have changed, I bet...

John Scheffel
06-05-2008, 09:55 AM
That is strange. Attachement of PNG files has been supported for as long as I can remember and I have not changed any settings related to it. See the attached image from the vBulletin admin page which I attached as a PNG file. I did not see any problems when I attached it (see the other image) and I can see the PNG thumbnail at the bottom of this post and open it with no problems.

Could the problem be web browser related? I'm running Internet Explorer 6 sp2 at work right now. I have IE 7 at home and can try that as well. Which browser and version are you using?

Until the problem is resolved, I would recommend attaching images as GIF or JPG. GIF usually works well for screen shots and is about as compact as PNG. JPG tends to be kind of fuzzy for screen shots unless you turn the quality up.

Wolfgang
06-05-2008, 10:58 AM
That is strange. Attachement of PNG files has been supported for as long as I can remember.....
Could the problem be web browser related? I'm running Internet Explorer 6 sp2 at work right now. I have IE 7 at home and can try that as well. Which browser and version are you using?

I'm using SeaMonkey all the time, right now this one:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008051603 SeaMonkey/2.0a1pre

And this nighty build was made and installed on 16th May, and last successful PNG upload I made was at: 05-28-2008 . So ....

John, the 2nd picture you attached (the gif file) was the white page I mentioned. This was the point where I thought 'uppppps'

I'll try png again. Now. --> failed again.

the empty white page:
http://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=20028

does that number appear in any log files?

John do you have different account for normal posting and admin task? Would another 'normal' user, without admin and/or forum-moderator rights, please upload a PNG file for test purpose?

John Scheffel
06-05-2008, 11:45 AM
the empty white page:
http://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=20028

does that number appear in any log files?

John do you have different account for normal posting and admin task? Would another 'normal' user, without admin and/or forum-moderator rights, please upload a PNG file for test purpose?
I could not open your link, I got the permission error below. It may be that URL will only work for your login name.

John Scheffel, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
I usually login with my admin account, but I can setup a normal member account for testing. However, I will be surprised if it makes any difference. So far you and wathavy are the only people to report this problem, so I suspect it is related to something unique to your PCs.

I searched the vBulletin support forum and found two recent threads about similar problems but so far there is nothing about the cause or solution. Do these reports sound similar to your problems? I think anyone can join the vBulletin forums, so if you want to get involved over there feel free.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272832

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273078

Test User
06-09-2008, 08:25 AM
This is an image upload test from a typical registered member account setup for testing.

John Scheffel
06-09-2008, 08:35 AM
In the previous post I uploaded two images from a typical registered user account and everything worked fine. So the problem is not related to member status. I also tested from my home PC which is running Internet Explorer 7 and it worked fine as well. So I think the issue occurs only on some PCs, possibly related to the web browser used or the settings.

There is a newer version (3.7.1) of the vBulletin software available which might make a difference. I will try to upgrade when I have some time.

John Scheffel
06-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Per this thread I have upgraded the forum to vBulletin 3.7.1. Let me know if this helps your image attachment problems.

Wolfgang
06-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Per this thread I have upgraded the forum to vBulletin 3.7.1. Let me know if this helps your image attachment problems.

Hi John,

sorry for being quite and not responding earlier.. and thanks for keeping the forum software up to date and all the maintenance work in the background!!!! :) :)

so I'll try again..... ttäääää täääääääää And now it's working.

I did no change my browser in the meantime
I did reboot my machine in the meantime
I did not restart my browser at all
I did not even log out from the forum.. ;)

and now PNG upload is working again, also for me. Thank You

John Scheffel
06-12-2008, 09:14 AM
so I'll try again..... ttäääää täääääääää And now it's working.
Glad to hear it is working now. Maybe there was something in the vBulletin 3.6.10 upgrade which caused this problem on some web browser setups. Hopefully this fixed the problem for everyone.