PDA

View Full Version : Loading *.pkg files from a XP network

teoadams
01-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Hello,
when I try to load every *.pkg file strored on a PC af my network (and only from this PC, the others have no problem) I get this error: "access denied - file maybe in use or disk full or write protected". Since the file is not in use and the disk is not full I can't understand where could be the problem.
Thank for any suggestion.
Teo

clausb
01-04-2008, 03:54 AM
I'd try to log file accesses using filemon or procmon, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx. This should give you a better idea about which part of the filing operation is actually failing.

Claus

teoadams
01-04-2008, 05:30 AM
Thank Claus for your suggestion.
I tried to monitor what happens and it's a problem of "read permission" on the source drive but this happens only with *.pkg files; if I try to copy any other kind of file from the same drive everything is ok. It seems like OSD "protects" its files on that drive. I really can't explain.
Thank for any other suggestion.
Teo

clausb
01-04-2008, 05:32 AM
What's the version of OneSpace Modeling you're using?

Claus

teoadams
01-04-2008, 05:51 AM
I'm using 14.00 and 15.50.
Thanks
Teo

clausb
01-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Select one of the .pkg files on the network drive and add the extension .zip to it. Now double-click the file in a Windows Explorer window to open it as a ZIP archive. Does this work?

Claus

teoadams
01-06-2008, 09:26 PM
It doesn't work because when I try to add the zip extension (or to rename the *.pkg file) I get the same message "access denied - file maybe in use or disk full or write protected".

clausb
01-06-2008, 10:17 PM
This suggests a permission config problem. Either the file itself, the directory in which it is stored, or the network share does not allow write accesses for the current user.

Claus

teoadams
01-06-2008, 10:34 PM
If I try to rename, move, copy or modify any other file in the same directory on the same network drive I have no problem; only with *.pkg I can't do anything.
It could be a "permission" problem only on the file itself but in this case I don't know how to verify it.
Teo

clausb
01-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Right-click the file, choose "Properties" from the context menu, go to the "General" tab. Check if the "Read-only" attribute is set. Now move on to the "Security" tab and check your settings there.

Claus

teoadams
01-07-2008, 02:55 AM
As I can see from Security tab every *.pkg file is missing the "Everyone" permission in the "users and group" window while each other file has this permission.
If I create a new pkg file on this network disk it's still missing the "Everyone" permission; if I create a new mi or txt or whatelse file on this same network drive it has the "Everyone" permission.
I think this is the problem because if I add the "Everyone" permission to a *.pkg file then I can copy or modify it.
I'd like each new pkg file setted for "Everyone" permission.
Teo

clausb
01-07-2008, 03:00 AM
What kind of permissions do you get if you save a model in *.sd format to the network drive?

Claus

teoadams
01-07-2008, 03:12 AM
If I save *.sd I get the "Everyone" permission but I need it also for the *.pkg files.
Teo

clausb
01-07-2008, 03:18 AM
If I save *.sd I get the "Everyone" permission but I need it also for the *.pkg files.

Sure, but I wanted to exclude the possibility that there is a general filing problem in OSM in your configuration.

Now try the following:

In the user input line, enter (display (oli:sd-inq-temp-dir))
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the inquired directory
Check the permissions for the directory

By the way, what kind of permissions do you get if you save a package file locally?

Claus

teoadams
01-07-2008, 03:46 AM
Thank Claus,
I added "Everyone" permission to the enquired directory and now every new pkg file has the "Everyone" permission too.
Thanks again
Teo