PDA

View Full Version : Extruding Complex 2D images

Coppertop
12-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Hi can someone help me with a beginner's problem?

How can I extrude a complex 2D image? The error message being "Self-intersecting loop is not allowed". I assume it's because the program sees my 2D image as one part and doesn't know how to extrude the design as a whole. So do I need to start over and do something different or is there a way to get around this error? Deleting intersecting lines (so they aren't sharing) doesn't seem to work.

I probably don't need to mention that everything is on the same workplane.
And as a related question, do shapes become "parts" only after extruding?

Thank you for any help!

clausb
12-06-2007, 10:49 PM
I assume you've drawn what in OSM terms is called a 2D profile on a workplane. Such profiles must be closed, and the lines in the profile cannot intersect.

Profiles are usually kept fairly simple; typically, you will extrude/turn the profile into 3D quickly, and then manipulate the 3D model directly, instead of adding lots of details to the 2D profile. And yes, once extruded, a profile produces one or several parts.

Maybe you could post a screenshot of your profile, or upload it as a model file for inspection?

Claus

Mike Swartz
12-07-2007, 05:55 AM
Here are a couple of screen shots of a profile that contains a self intersecting loop. Note that the one circle has changed color to yellow. That is the edge that is causing problems. The square box shows exactly where the problem is.

The second screen shot is a close up of that area. Note that the curved edge extends past the intersection of the line and the arc.

You must have a closed profile in order to perform a machining operation, and your edges must not overlap.

As far as parts are concerned. Ths system starts with a default part and workplane. (P1 and W1) The default part and workplane are also active. Since P1 is not very descriptive, I suggest that you rename that part, (or delete it and create your own part with a more descriptive name) After that, you need to create any new parts that you intend to use. You should create a part before you perform the first machining operation. By default, when you create a new part, it becomes the active part. When you perform a machining operation, (unless you specify otherwise) that machining operation will be performed on the active part.

It sound like you may have imported a drawing with multiple profiles of an assembly. These profiles that may touch or overlap. This will not work. You need to create one part at a time from one profile.

Coppertop
12-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Thank you both for replying. It's making sense now and I was able to make it work by creating parts one by one, using the 2D as a guideline. I certainly hope the commercial version of this software comes with a comprehensive manual!

Thanks again

Mike Swartz
12-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Are you using the Help files?
Help-->Help Topics
Bring the Contents tab to the front.
Expand the Create and modify 3D models category. This is a good place to start reading.

Note that context dependent help is also available. When you are in a command and need help, either select the question mark in the open dialog box, or hit the F1 key, and you will get help on the function you currently have open.