PDA

View Full Version : System configuration question

bobwing
10-31-2002, 05:43 AM
For a barely noticeable price difference, we have the option of either a 2.4 Ghz Xeon or dual 1.8 Ghz Xeons. Does anyone have any experience on which would be better for OS Modeler?

TIA
Bob

John Scheffel
10-31-2002, 01:52 PM
I don't have any experience so this is speculation. Modeling doesn't have any special support for dual CPUs, so the 2.4 would probably be faster (assuming memory, disk, graphics, and other speed factors are the same). However, I doubt you would see a huge difference either way running Modeling. The dual CPUs would be an advantage if you want to run CPU intensive tasks such as analysis while running other programs, so this might be the tie breaker.

rr79
11-01-2002, 09:19 AM
you can also run the dispatcher and remote update on the second processor. I run dual 2.2 xeon processor and this work around really helps out on large drawing updates.

~Nick

clausb
11-13-2002, 03:55 AM
As John already pointed out, the modeling code itself does not benefit much from dual processors. However, for remote drawing updates, part checks or FE analysis, a dual-processor system can help performance quite a bit provided that you have enough memory to run another OSD instance on the same PC.

In the past, we have found that modeling performance scales almost linearly with the CPU clock speed for many operations.

Claus