PDA

View Full Version : Activation period

Rainier Lamers
10-22-2007, 10:53 PM
First, let me respectully congratulate CoCreate for making such a nice 3D software package available for free.
I have downloaded it last week and was set to play with it during the weekend on my laptop. It did connect it to the internet and activation proceeded without problems.
Unfortunately when the time came to start learning the program a few days later it wanted to reactivate again. Only this time I had no access to the internet, so I was left with no choice but to do something else.

Can I request that the very short activation time be extended to a more reasonable time period, perhaps a week or two at least ? Surely that would not affect security of CoCreate in any way negatively. The short activation period did leave a somewhat negative impression.

Rainier
(Somerset West, near Cape Town, South Africa)

Mike Swartz
10-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Hello Rainier,

CoCreate supplies Modeling PE free, but we do track customer usage. We do that by having the application download and install a license key every time you start the application. This key is good for 72 hours. If the key is still valid and you are not connected to the internet, you will see an option to allow you to "work offline"

Rainier Lamers
10-24-2007, 12:17 AM
I Understand the need to track usage and that is accepted.
Internet connectivity is not World wide what you may be used to in developed countries. It can be a real pain and sometimes simply not possible for days depending where you are.
You are excluding anybody who is trying to use your software under these conditions without any option. It is simply too strict.

Being a programmer myself, it would be very easy to use a two week window (as example), with a nice message on startup that tells you how much time you have left - whenever an internet connection becomes available you can then send the required information.
This would be a lot more user friendly without CoCreate sacrificing anything.

Just my 2 cents...

Rainier

Hello Rainier,

CoCreate supplies Modeling PE free, but we do track customer usage. We do that by having the application download and install a license key every time you start the application. This key is good for 72 hours. If the key is still valid and you are not connected to the internet, you will see an option to allow you to "work offline"

clausb
10-24-2007, 03:30 AM
Rainier,

thanks for your suggestion! I have forwarded this internally to get the discussion going.

Claus