PDA

View Full Version : Saving multi sheet .mi as dxf

M.Fitzpatrick
10-28-2005, 09:52 AM
What ever sheet is active is what that comes up in the dxf, not all sheets. Is that the way its supposed to work? Can there be multisheet dxf files?
Kind of a pain saving each sheet individually and then sending them all to client.
Mark

M.Fitzpatrick
10-28-2005, 10:00 AM
OK I found that only a single sheet can be saved as a dxf.
Anyway we can get all the sheets to show on one page, one above or beside the other in a single file dxf?
Mark

May Kung
10-28-2005, 10:06 AM
Yes, that's normal operation. I don't know if the DXF format supports multi-sheets, but we regularly save a multi-sheet Annotation file into multiple single-sheet DXF files. We have a nice little macro that helps with the saving, so we just enter a field for where we want to save the file, what we want to call it, and it automatically goes through all the sheets and saves out each DXF file. I need to check if I'm allowed to post it since someone else wrote it for us. If I can, I'll post it here.

ETA: Here's the code. Note that this is unsupported code and is provided as-is.

John Scheffel
10-31-2005, 08:14 AM
The only way I know to get all the sheets in a single DXF file is to use the Arrange Sheets goody, save the entire drawing as an MI file, then convert to DXF in Drafting or by using the translator outside of the Annotation UI.

To load Arrange Sheets, enter this command on the User Input Line (if you don't have this line, open it from View).

(load "am_arr_sheets")

This will add an Arrange Sheets button to the Toolbox. Click it just before you save the Drawing as an MI file. This will arrange the sheets in a horizontal instead of them being overlapped in the MI file.

You can then load the MI file into Drafting and save it as a DXF. If you don't have Drafting, you can run the DXFDWG translator in menu mode by opening the file

<install-dir>\dxfdwg\dxfdwg.exe

where <install-dir> is the folder where Modeling is installed.