PDA

View Full Version : Ctrl button does not work

Teh Tiack Ein
09-05-2005, 10:34 PM
I have Windows 2000 machine with OSDD and OSDM v13.20 installed. I do not do any customization on keyboards and others. The Ctrl button for my keyboard does not work for OSDD and OSDM applications but works for other windows applications like Excel, Explorer, Words and etc. I checked the keyboard setting in control panel. It seems like everything looks alright.

Any other configurations in Windows system can disable the Ctrl button for OSDD and OSDM applications?

clausb
09-06-2005, 02:55 AM
Never heard of such a case before.

When you say that the CTRL key does not work, what exactly does this mean? If you press CTRL-O while OSDM is active, do you get the "Load File" browser?

Claus

Teh Tiack Ein
09-06-2005, 03:18 AM
Never heard of such a case before.

....If you press CTRL-O while OSDM is active, do you get the "Load File" browser?....

Claus

Yes, all the shortcuts for Windows (e.g. CTRL-O, CTRL-V, CTRL-C and etc) still work fine. If I press CTRL-O, I can get "Load File" browser.The CTRL key just does not work in OSDD and OSDM. e.g. (CTRL-right hand mouse, CTRL-left hand mouse and etc). Any clues?

clausb
09-06-2005, 03:32 AM
Hmmm... first you say that CTRL-O works just fine and pops up the file browser in OSDM. Then you say that the CTRL key "just does not work in OSDD and OSDM". Only one of the two statements can be true.

Just to clarify: I'm assuming that what you mean is that you cannot move/rotate the 3D model using CTRL-mousebutton operations, right?

Do you have any special mouse drivers installed on that system?

Claus

Teh Tiack Ein
09-06-2005, 03:37 AM
.... Just to clarify: I'm assuming that what you mean is that you cannot move/rotate the 3D model using CTRL-mousebutton operations, right?

This is absolutely correct. The ctrl key with mouse buttons do not work but the rests are working.

Do you have any special mouse drivers installed on that system?

If I remember correctly, there is Logitech mouse driver in that system. I will need to get back to users and come back on this but I am pretty sure there are some drivers installed in that system.

clausb
09-06-2005, 04:01 AM
Just checked the mouse driver on another system which happens to use a Dell/Logitech mouse. Apparently, at least some drivers can be configured to do "interesting" things when the CTRL key is pressed - see the attached screenshot. Wild idea: Maybe one of those options interferes with CTRL key handling in applications?

Claus

Teh Tiack Ein
09-09-2005, 12:11 AM
thanks Claus!

Eventually, I found out the rootcause. It was caused by digital Mouse and USB Port I/O fatal error. After change the digital mouse, the problem fixed.

Anyhow, I still do not understand that mouse did not work well in OSD applications but the rest of the applications are okay in the same system.

clausb
09-09-2005, 12:26 AM
Good to hear this works now!

Anyhow, I still do not understand that mouse did not work well in OSD applications but the rest of the applications are okay in the same system.

Model navigation in a 3D viewport requires a combination of pressing the CTRL key AND pressing a mouse button AND moving the mouse, so both the keyboard and the mouse are involved at the same time. And that somehow didn't work due to your defective mouse hardware - which doesn't sound too mysterious to me. Oh, and maybe you're using a USB keyboard on the affected machine? If so, both devices probably use the same USB controller, and if one of the devices connected to the USB controller acts up, chances are that the other connected devices suffer as well.

Claus