PDA

View Full Version : finding documents without a Master Part

jkramer
03-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Hi,

is there a way to search for documents that don't have a link to a Master Part??
We have thousands of parts stored in WM, and sometimes newbies make a mistake, and store a document (SD-model or Annotation drawing) without relating it to a Master Part ("Enter OK to relate the new document to the current master part" - and they click Cancel without really understanding what they do). I'm sure that there are some "orphan documents" floating around in WM, but I can't find a way of doing a query for this, or a way to make the relations visible for all documents at once...

Any clue??
Thanks!
Regards,
Jaap

May Kung
03-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Are you using Work Manager (5.1 or 6) or Model Manager 12/13? For Work Manager, I used to explain to users that the "top-half" of the client window dealt with the Part Folder (Masterdata), while the "lower-half" was for the Document itself. Just type in the fields there and it will search amongst the Documents. We had a highly-customized Work Manager client interface, so maybe yours isn't set up the same way, though.

If using Model Manager, you can do a search by either 3D Model or 2D Drawing instead of Masterdata.

jkramer
03-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Hi,

thanks for the response. We use Workmanager. Yes, the first thing we tell our users is that the top half is Mater Data and the bottom half the Docs. But my problem is: how can I ask Workmanager to see IF there are Docs that aren't linked to a Master Part?? I want to do a regular check on this, because people tend to search for numbers by typing a number in the Master Part section. This can result in the assumption that a number does not exist, while there is already a Doc with that number "floating around" in the system.

Regards,
Jaap

May Kung
03-08-2005, 10:45 AM
It's been about a year since I last used WM (we migrated to MM at that time), so I'm going by fuzzy memory. :) I know MM has several ways to ask a Document if it's related to a Masterdata entry. I seem to remember WM having such a feature, too, though not quite as easy to get to.

Edit: There's a Show Links button in the WM client. I'm guessing that's similar to the Where-Used tab in MM.

jkramer
03-08-2005, 10:45 PM
Hi,

yes, it's easy to see the links of one particular document in WM. But I need a method of checking the links of THOUSANDS of documents at once....

Regards,
Jaap