PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Dept

MikeBoswell
04-30-2004, 04:02 AM
Does anyone here have any experience w/ passing OSDM models to a surfacing/texturing/rendering/modeling software.

The graphics dept here is forging new ground and wants our models in in 3d format. In the past it has been dxf, pdf, tiff transfers but these are flat and we would like to have the models in new presentations. The only software that the graphics guys have got their hands on is called 'Infini-D 4.0'. It is old and only takes dxf's w/ 3d object definition. It will also take a 3dmf format. Oh yeah the graphics dept is on Mac's.

What combo of filetype and software have you seen this done w/ ??

thanks,

jkramer
05-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Hi,

The fact that your graphics dept. uses Macs shouldn't be the problem. Macs can read PC files without problems. The only problem is the dxf conversion....
I hope someone knows of a nice converter; I could use a dxf-converter for 3D models, too.

Jaap

MikeBoswell
05-03-2004, 03:56 AM
I forwarded some 3d to the graphics guys Friday. They have not replied yet. I had to install Autocad and load a ACIS/SAT from SD into Autocad, then save out a dxf of the model from Autocad.

I would still like to find a way to do this wo/ the need for Autocad.

Thanks,
Mike

Steve
05-06-2004, 02:46 PM
One thing you might consider is exporting as .vrml. There are several .vrml freeware viewers out there.

The graphics quality is not pristine, but it works.

Steve