PDA

View Full Version : Can you group Machining features?

Harry
02-12-2004, 06:12 AM
Is there a way to place Machining features, like drilling holes, in a group?
I like to make a drilling pattern containing serveral holes.
Is there a way I can select all these Machining features in one time, for movement, deleting, copying etc?
I know there is a way to place serveral parts/assy in a group. Is there something the same for Machining features?

Jim McKim
02-12-2004, 01:49 PM
Yes, you can do this with the Features menu, which allows you to group faces, edges, or vertices as a defined feature that will belong to the part. You can then use the Select menu to select By Def Feat when you want to modify all the elements in the feature. All elements of a feature must belong to the same part, but not elements in a feature must be the same type.
One warning: if you delete the elements in a user defined feature, the feature remains in the part structure as an empty placeholder. It is possible, with certain modeling operations (unites, mainly), for these empty features to repeatedly duplicate to the point where the model really bogs down. There is a goody called "cleanup" that can be used to clean out empty features.

Harry
02-13-2004, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the quick reaction!

AndyHingston
04-29-2004, 07:39 AM
I am not sure if you are aware, but the Machining module is part of the base product, i.e. free of charge
For some time you have been able to create a pattern of machined features, but since Rev 12 you can now modify this pattern. When you choose Modify and select one of the holes in the pattern, you are prompted with a display table and have the ability to select the pattern, whereby you can modify number of holes, etc. To change the PCD, simply choose modify and select the master machining feature from the table and reposition. Next choose modify and select the pattern and confirm and the remeaining holes will re-position. Almost parametrically!