PDA

View Full Version : Dimension from a Tangent

Mick J
02-10-2004, 09:34 AM
Hi,

Given two indepenant surfaces, one a radius the other a straight edge, and both are touching as a tangent, can the tangent point be used as a dimension point?:confused:

Thanks in advance,

Thom Ivancso
02-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Hello Mick,

If I understand your question correctly, you can not use the point where the straight line and the circle/arc touch as a point to dimension from using any of the single dimension commands.

You could try using the tangential dimension command to dimension from the tangency point of the circle/arc to another element be it a circle/arc or straight line. Of course this will cover up most of the straight line with the dimensions extension line.

You could also try and split the lines at the intersection of where they touch and dimension to the end points of the new lines.

Remember when splitting a circle that it will be split in two places at 0 or 3:00 and at the point you specify.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Thom

Mick J
02-11-2004, 01:27 AM
Tom,

Thankyou for the reply.

Applying the SPLIT comand to the arc surface, and split by catching the intersect does as you suggest. And gives me two arc elements with ends I can then dimension from - thanks.

Can you verify what you mean by "tangential dimension command", and may be how to find the tangential point? I have located the "Tangential" command on the dimension menu OK, but picking THE tangential point is not working for me.

But for the moment I am happy to take what works (and SPLIT).

Thanks again

:D

Thom Ivancso
02-24-2004, 04:06 PM
Hello Mick,

You found the command I was talking about. The point that you would need to pick first would be the one on the circular element, then you could pick the end piont of a straight segment to complete the dimension.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Thom