PDA

View Full Version : partface to solid

nan battaglia
01-22-2004, 08:22 AM
I've loaded an iges file into Modeling. The part is now called a partface instead of a solid. My question is, can I convert the partface into a solid?
I tried to make a drawing of the part in Annotation but it doesn't accept the partface as the owner.

Thanks

Gary Brauch
01-22-2004, 08:27 AM
Nan,
There is no "silver bullit" for fixing these. Each situation is different, so if you open a support call and send it in we can have a look at it and let you know how to fix it.
Gary.

John Scheffel
01-22-2004, 09:27 AM
Files imported via IGES or STEP often do not import as a solid. Sometimes changing the Load Accuracy via the Options button will help, but usually the defaults work best. If you can't get the model to import as a solid, there are a lot of techniques that you can use fix it, but that is the subject of an entire class named "Repairing Corrupt Parts" that CoCreate offers. Gary's suggestion to send the IGES file to support is probably your best bet.

nan battaglia
01-22-2004, 10:42 AM
Gary,
I got the fix from Tim (the engineer who emailed you).
Type (activate-iges_3D) to activate Rev11.6 translator.
Before too long, my whole group will be on Rel12 and I'll be removing Rel11.6 from everyones system. Can I replace the Rel 12 translator with Rel11.6 translator? Are both translators available in Rel12?

Thanks

Gary Brauch
01-22-2004, 10:54 AM
Nan,
Both are available in release 12, so go ahead and remove 11.x.

Personally I would add the command to your customization so that both translators are available in the load menu and then use the version 12 first and then the old if necessary.
Gary.

Gary Brauch
01-22-2004, 11:42 AM
Nan,
I was going to go throug the call with this response, but decided to do it here so everyone would see it.

After doing some research with your part, V12 iges opened it fine when the correct settings were selected.

I opened the part and took a good look at and saw that some faces were not trimmed correctly, so I then change the option to trim the faces per 3D rather than source pref.

By doing this, the part loaded fine and with some further testing, I found that I could up the accuracy of the part to 10e-6.

Using the old translator, it came it at something 2.5e-2 and I could not get it better.

So there may be a learning curve to use the new translator, but in the long run you will be getting better parts.
Gary.

Mike Swartz
02-04-2004, 07:24 AM
The main problem is the bad import of the IGES trimmed (parametric) surface entity (Type 144) and the related curve on a parametric surface entity (type 142).
The current IGES interface uses the flag "PREF" that indicates the preferred representation in the sending system for the trimming curve. But tests show us that the default setting is probably wrong in some cases.
EXAMPLE: Pro/E PREF uses the UV (2D) curve but the 3D curve is much better.

Here is a brief description of the Face Trim options.

1. Source preference: (Default setting) The IGES interface reads the flag "PREF" of the curve on surface entity (type 142) and uses this curve for trimming
2. Use UV: in some cases, the PREF points to the 3D curve, but better results can be obtained by using the UV (2D)curve (CATIA V4 or SolidWorks)
3. Use 3D: In some cases the PREF points to the2D curve, but it is not as accurate as the 3D curve (ProE)