PDA

View Full Version : OneSpace Designer accuracy

Herman Houkes
01-08-2004, 03:57 AM
We currently use OSD with its default accuracy (1E-6mm).
We would like to import models from UG (Parasolid), which has a maximum accuracy of 1E-5mm.
When we try to import them forced on a 1E-6 accuracy we get corrupt parts. We consider accepting parts in our database with a lower (1E-5) accuracy. However, when we re-use these parts it will lead to more and more parts with this lower accuracy. We have details in the sub micron range in our models.
Questions:
1. Do you have experience with importing UG parts to a 1E-6 accuracy?
2. What are the consequences of lowering accuracy?

Michel Gendron
02-10-2004, 05:24 AM
Hi,
I did some translation back and foward between UG. The best way to got it's using the UG adapter. It's expensive but work well. STEP 214 working fine too, it's keeping all share, resolution et color of part.

The trick with lowering (make it coaser) resolution is to make sure you doesn't have any edge smaller the twice the resolution: in you case : 0.00002. That way your part will not be corrupt. I know people that draw directly at 0.001 to match other software. But I will not suggest that one because you always get problem to export it after.

Always look at your blends. Those feature always get the samllers edges. And by experience, If something got wrong in a translation, it will be at the blend face. Make a coarser resolution might affect the tangent point of a blend. If Blend is you bread and butter, I may suggest you to switch you resolution to 1E-5 to reduce problem in translation. Otherwise look at the UG translator.

If you are using a lot of surfacing/freeform, you might see a difference in the way UG and OneSpace Designer calculation it. I didn't maid a lot of those (Only from UG to OSD-M) so I will let the CoCreate support team explain you this.

That's just my opinion. Not a scientific answer.