PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected move dynamic

gmatelich
01-07-2004, 09:00 AM
I was using dynamic move for a 3d move of a face, and got unexpected results. I wanted to warn others, or find out if it's something I've done wrong. Modeling v12.01 on Win2k

Measure the part in the picture, the distance between two faces was 4.1325, but it should be 4.1. Being too lazy for the math, I pre-selected the face, Move 3D, clicked the dynamic move arrow, drug the bottom face back until it snapped to the top face and clicked, clicked the dynamic move arrow again and type in 4.1.

The problem I'm having appears to be that when the top face turned orange, I assumed this was equivalent to Align Face, meaning that the bottom face would have moved up 4.1325. On closer inspection I found that rather than a true Align the bottom face moved up 4.135 ( I have dynamic move snap to .005 increments), then when I moved back down 4.1 my end result was .0025 off of what I expected.

My opinion of this function would be that Align Face type snaps would over-ride the default incremental move.

gmatelich
01-08-2004, 08:35 AM
Support: When you state, "...appears to be that when the top face turned orange, I assumed this was equivalent to Align Face, meaning that the bottom face would have moved up 4.1325..." it is true that if your drag is set to Smooth or Dynamic then the dynamic move will be to the exact alignment you see in orange. However, if your Drag is set to a fixed increment of .005 inches, then you are overriding OSDM's ability to make an exact alignment and are forcing it to the closest alignment with a fixed .005 inch movement restraint.

We would suggest not using a Fixed Drag if you truly do not desire fixed dynamic movements.

Me:I'd like to see the orange highlight face align override fixed-increment settings, as it seems more consistent and intuitive than having fixed-increment override orange highlight.

Support:That is the discussion we have been having here all morning. Argument 1: Why have fixed dynamic 3D move commands if they are not fixed? Argument 2: Why display the orange "aligned" feedback if it is not aligned?

I will submit an enhancement exactly the way you state it. I'm sure the labs position will NOT be to override a fixed increment that the user has set. That is to say, fixed increment is not the default setting and the user has made the choice to only allow dynamic movement of faces to selected increments and he has the option to use other commands to achieve the required results you describe in your original email. If the user does not want fixed incremental movements than don't change the default Drag from smooth.

Please see the related poll (http://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4901)