PDA

View Full Version : OSD 12.0 Annotation - Right mouse button

Wolfgang
12-07-2003, 11:38 AM
Hi folks,

I assume you all know the context menu for View port handling, or the preselect methods which are 'placed' on the right mouse button.

In OSD revision 12.00 there's a new Integration Kit Function to define a command specific right mouse button menu. It's called sd-set-cmd-specific-context-menu-entries. Using it is quite simple....

I had a look to the UI and tried to create those kind of menus. I focused on simple options (one click in dialog UI, e.g. a push button) which force me today to move my mouse from one end of my view port to the UI and back to the old position. Now it's one (additional) right mouse click (instead of 2 long ways for my mouse) and then I have that simple option available.

I did a couple of things for Annotation. Give it a try. Load the attached dll in your am_customize (have one look to console window). Watch the shape of your cursor in the AM view port (the three dots!).

Do you like it?
What else would you add?
Which other commands would you enhance by this method?

looking forward to get some feedback..
Wolfgang

John Scheffel
02-02-2004, 04:06 PM
I made a note to check this out when I had some time, and finally got around to looking at it. This is a pretty cool new customization feature. I tried your example and it seemed to work fine. However, when I tried to test the "extrude" example in the documentation on this command I kept getting errors about variables being undefined.

Although no specific use for this comes to mind, it seems to me that most commands could benefit from a special right click menu that would provide easier access to command specific options. I wouldn't spend a lot of time creating my own custom right click menus, but I hope that CoCreate will leverage this new feature and provide some standard right click menus for common commands.

Wolfgang
02-03-2004, 06:30 AM
Hi John,

it's fine to get known, that you found the time to try it out.

Unfortunately there was not any feedback to this possibility on the US forum til now. There have been more reaction on the german's forum. But neither here nor there came up the idea.. "would be nice to have it here and here and there....." This would make it more easy to deliver a good out of the box stuff.

IMHO: One more time CoCreate created a new functionality, but used it only for one special purpose. But special in this case it could be introduced nearly every where.. but where does it really make sense? Which are the top 30(?) commands where it would be nice to have those things on the RMB (and reduce the normal UI).
----------------------
Yes.. also a point of CoCreate documentation: examples listed are sometimes not complete at all, or if they seemed to be they are not working :( I stumbled about it many times, too.

The border is: a) make the example simple to read (as it is) or b) make the example running immediately (but not so simple)

But we're running out of topic.
----------------------
Attached you'll find a modified LISP example for the extrude command. The state for enable/toggle set is fetched from the existing UI instead referring to not existing (global) variables.

John Scheffel
02-03-2004, 09:18 AM
Hi Wolfgang,

One thing that might help you get more response is to post more detailed instructions. I had a little trouble figuring out what to do with the DLL file after I unzipped it. For example.

Download and unzip the am_right_mouse_button.dll file.
Start Modeling version 12 and activate Annotation..
Open a console window by clicking View, Console. This will open a command prompt window named "OneSpace Designer: Log Window".
Load the DLL file. Click File, Load, then change to the correct folder. Set the File Type: to All (*.*), then double click the DLL file.
Look at the Console Window for a listing of all affected commands (or see below).
As an example, try creating a single dimension. Notice that the cursor now has 3 dots next to it which indicates that right clicking the mouse will open a command specific menu.
Right click to set the dimension direction (horizontal, vertical, parallel, etc.)
You can use Add/Remove Decimal place to quickly change the number of decimal places for the next created dimension.
Try some of the other commands listed below.

If anyone can think of specific commands and menu options that they would like to see in either Modeling or Annotation, please help Wolfgang by posting them here.

Here is the full listing of commands to try, copied from the Console window after loading Wolfgang's example code.

The following commands got a context menu accessible on
right mouse button click when the command is activ :
AM_CREATE_DIM_SINGLE
AM_CREATE_DIM_DTLONG
AM_CREATE_DIM_DIAMTR
AM_CREATE_DIM_RADIUS
AM_CREATE_DIM_TANG
AM_CREATE_DIM_DTSHORT
AM_CREATE_DIM_COORD
AM_CREATE_DIM_CHAIN
AM_CREATE_DIM_SYMSIN
AM_CREATE_DIM_SYMLONG