PDA

View Full Version : Compressed MI Format

fabrizio
12-03-2003, 11:25 PM
Hello all.
I am writing a Java app which has to deal with compressed and non-compressed MI files produced by Me10. In particular, compressed MI files must be decompressed by my program before it can work on them.
Up to today my program uses gzip.exe to uncompress mi files and all works fine. To improve performance and stability, I am trying to use some Java standard libraries instead of gzip.exe to perform the decompression. But those Sun standard libraries are not able to "gunzip" Me10 "gzipped" MI files. By the way, if I have a non-compressed Me10 file and I gzip it with gzip.exe, the Java libraries are able to gunzip it correctly. So my guess is that Me10 does not use exactly the same compression algorithm as gzip.exe. And my question is: does anybody know which is the exact compression algorithm used by Me10 to compress files?

Thanks in advance.
Fabrizio

clausb
12-04-2003, 08:31 AM
ME10 uses two different compression formats, depending on the version and settings which you can pass on the command line or in the INI file (see the ME10 README file for details).

The older compression format is the same as used in the UNIX compress/uncompress utility. The newer compression format is the one used by gzip.

Claus