PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Problem with OSD

DesignerFans
11-20-2003, 07:46 AM
Here is a Notebook,HP Compaq X1000, (Model 1079A)
The Notebook has wide screen 15:10.
And hign Resolution can reach to 1280x800

After installing OSDM 2004 in Resolution 1280x800
There will be a System Crash metter.
The Graphic Chip inside is ATI Redoen Momility 9200

If it has been changed into 1024x768 (Normal Resolution)
It will happen again after using for a while.
Is there any way to solve this ?

John Scheffel
11-20-2003, 09:24 AM
It might be helpful to post info on which Windows version (NT,2000,XP) and service pack level you are running.

ATI graphics don't have a good history of working well with SolidDesigner/Modeling, although newer chips and drivers have been getting better. nVidia has historically been much better.

Try some different display settings for resolution and number of colors to see if it helps.

You might check the HP or ATI web site to see if there is a graphics driver update available, sometimes that helps.

Try setting an environment variable as follows to see if it fixes the problem (right click My Computer, Properties to set variables).

SDPIXELFORMAT=SOFTWARE

This will force Modeling to use software 3D graphics instead of the 3D hardware. Graphics speed will be slower, but it may prove that the problem is the 3D hardware or driver.

clausb
11-20-2003, 09:29 AM
It would also help to know after what kind of operations the system crashes occur, and what exactly you mean by "system crash". When some people say "system crash", what they really mean is an application or system hang-up, or they mean that the application crashes, or they might be seeing a blue screen crash. Any additional detail about the issue and the kind of crash/hang-up you're seeing will help to find workarounds or solutions.

BTW, the Radeon Mobility chipsets are considered by ATI as "consumer-level" chipsets, i.e. they are not targeted at high-end apps such as those used for CAD. ATI will fix CAD-specific issues in the "professional" chipsets (FireGL line), but not necessarily for consumer-level chipsets. This is the reason why we do not officially support Radeon cards and Radeon Mobility chipsets.

Claus

DesignerFans
01-03-2004, 05:23 AM
I have found the way to solve this.
Install OSDM 12.01 first, then upgrade with OSDM 12.01A.
Then Problem won't appear any more.

Thanks a lot.

clausb
01-03-2004, 07:15 AM
I'm glad that you got your configuration working, but I somehow doubt that installing 12.01A on top of 12.01 is what fixed the problem. AFAIK, 12.01A does not have any graphics-related fixes and/or improvements. Also, what you described didn't sound like a crash caused by OSDM anyway, but by the graphics driver.

Claus