PDA

View Full Version : Module parametric

luigimilano
11-15-2003, 12:22 AM
I've tried to create a valid parametric relation in a model (see attach) but I stop first become crazy. Text file in the attach is a table of 3 option than can be combined with various value of d variable.
Can anyone help me?

Thanks
Best Regards

John Scheffel
11-17-2003, 11:02 AM
I'm not a Relations expert, but I took a look at your model and believe the problem is that you are using inconsistent contraints on the part. You have rad1 controlling the radius of a blend, and dist1 controlling the vertical height of the same blend, but they are trying to set two different values (r and r-t1). This is not possible, the height of the blend must be the same as the radius. dia1 and dist2 are also in conflict. The location of the circle where dia1 meets the conical surface will be determined by dia1. As dia1 changes, this circle will move up and down because the angle of the conical surface will not change, so you cannot control the location of the circle with dist2. If you deactivate or delete dist1 and dist2 the relations will work.

luigimilano
11-17-2003, 09:58 PM
Thanks John for your time.
The attach image show the table I want obtain. The model is an internal groove but external is similar. The goal of dist1 relation is to traslate the face not the blend, r-t1 is an axial constraint (see the attach). I meet very difficult to traslate conical face along axial direction so the relation dist2 want to do this but fail.
Any suggest is welcome.

Best Regards

John Scheffel
11-18-2003, 10:26 AM
If I understand correctly it seems that you want to use parametrics to make changes which would require creation of new surfaces and/or deletion of existing surfaces. I don't think this is possible with parametrics, I believe you can only modify existing surfaces. Any relations experts out there who know otherwise?

luigimilano
11-18-2003, 09:43 PM
No John I don't want to create or delete faces but only move it. My difficult is to move conical face through its axis that the relation dist2 want to do.

Bye

John Scheffel
11-19-2003, 09:18 AM
OK, I think I understand what you are trying to do. The attached GIF shows a simpler model with a conical surface and a few relations. You want to be able to control the location of the conical surface along the axis. Is this correct?

I was able to move the conical surface along it's axis using the dist1 relation between the fixed plane circle and the circle at the bottom of the cone. If I change dist1 it will translate the cone up and down.

The problem arises if I also try to control the diameter of one of the cylindrical surfaces which intersect the cone, such as the dia1 relation in the GIF. If I modify the dia1 value, it will cause the circle between the cone and the cylinder to move up and down since the conical surface does not move. This causes a conflict with the dist1 relation which is also trying to control the location of this circle.

So I think you are trying to do something that Parametrics cannot currently handle. It seems that it should be possible for CoCreate to make it work since you are not really overconstraining the model. It just seems to be a combination of constraints that it can't handle.

I also could not find any way to create a relation which would alter the angle of the conical surface, which might be another thing people want to do, or a way to deal with the diameter changes bounding the cone.

If you have access to CoCreate support you might want to submit this to them using a simplified model like the one shown in the GIF. If they can't provide a way to make it work in version 12, they might consider it for future enhancements.

luigimilano
11-19-2003, 10:33 PM
Dear John
you understand my problem very good, I hope that I solve the problem in the future.

Thank you very much
Best Regards