PDA

View Full Version : sdserver.exe

rr79
10-24-2002, 09:41 AM
Can anyone explain what the sdserver.exe service does???

dszostak
10-24-2002, 09:59 AM
This is an active service running on your machine that used for dispatching remote calculations to other machines, either for Annotation view calculations or FEA anaylsis. You can also set it up for both applications.
When you install Designer Modeling on your machine, one of the installation steps asks if you what this service started.
To find out more, go to the Annotation Concept's and User's Guide and the very last subject on this help page talks about the Remote Server Update Module. Check it out.

John Scheffel
10-24-2002, 10:05 AM
I think this service is also necessary for others to run remote updates on your machine. We normally don't install this since most people don't want others running updates on their PC.

rr79
10-24-2002, 10:10 AM
Would the service affect the performance of OSDM in any way?
If it is only used in remote updates than my assumption is no.

dszostak
10-24-2002, 10:14 AM
Correct. If you wanted, you could stop the service completely by making it a manual service, instead of automatic. This does nothing to OSDM's performance either.

rr79
10-24-2002, 10:24 AM
I had a interesting occurance with one of our OSDM installations. The user's session would not allow him to run a HR print. At first I thought it was a video card problem. I was lead to this conclusion because his system has more than enough available ram and space in his temp folder to run a HR print. So I swapped his card for a NVIDIA Quadro 700 XGL and updated all of his drivers. The system did not respond to the upgrade. OSDM still froze.

So unistalled the product and reinstalled it. Just to insure that it was a corrupt installation. I deleted all registry value associated with OSDM. Hoping this would be a clean install. Afterwards I loaded OSDM and tried a HR print. The session just crashed. Afterwards I noticed that the SDSERVER version 11 was still operating on his machine. So I disabled the service, and enable the 11.5 SDSERVER.exe service. Restarted the session and have not had a problem with it since.

Maybe it's a just a fluke. All intelligent reasoning leads me to believe the SDSERVER should have nothing to do with it, though.

John Scheffel
10-24-2002, 10:25 AM
I certainly hope it doesn't affect performance or HR Dump. A definitive answer could only come from someone at CoCreate with expertise on this service. Thanks for reporting this, could be a very obscure bug.

clausb
11-13-2002, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by rr79
Afterwards I noticed that the SDSERVER version 11 was still operating on his machine. So I disabled the service, and enable the 11.5 SDSERVER.exe service. Restarted the session and have not had a problem with it since.

Strange indeed. sdserver.exe is not used to produce screenshots (highres or standard), so I'd tend to think that the crash is not related to the server process. Let us know if the problem should reoccur.

Thanks!

Claus

rr79
11-13-2002, 07:47 AM
Please ignore this entire thread. It was just a chance coincidence that this occurred. Disabling the sdserver had nothing to do with it. The problem came back again.